• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The high end Chinese Shoe Thread

evangel21

Reaction score
Mine looks pretty neat to me.
20211208_164514.jpg

I agree that the stitching of that pair could have been better. Whether that is unacceptable enough to ask for refund is for the OP to decide.

It is fair that we'd expect a certain QC based on the price we pay regardless the amount. From the maker's point, perhaps the pair passes their QC given that the untidy stitching doesn't compromise the structural integrity of the shoe.
I've had HW pairs that were lasted poorly but passed the maker AND retailer QC. Finally settled the issue with slight discounts.

To diss the maker based on one pair when there are many well made ones by said maker may be a bit overreacting. But that's my humble insignificant opinion.

Oct Tenth still makes great shoes at that price point. But YMMV.
Disclaimer: I'm in no way associated with OT. Just someone who has a few pairs from different makers. What do I know anyway.

Last edited:

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd show off a new pair I just received from Acme. A plain toe derby in brown embossed “pig calf” leather from Tannery Haas, with rubber topy. They are made on my personal MTM lasts, which had some small fit modifications – mainly at the arch area and more room for my pinky toes – and where the toe was shorted a bit. The already quite good fit is now really great, and I personally like the balance with the new toe shape. The make is excellent, a clear improvement from my already really good first pair. A bunch of pics below, a lot more and some more info on the shoes, and also about Acme's new webshop in this article for those interested.

IMG_1129-scaled.jpg

IMG_1150-scaled.jpg

IMG_1157-scaled.jpg

DSC07979-scaled.jpg

DSC08033-scaled.jpg

DSC08081-scaled.jpg

IMG_1191-scaled.jpg

IMG_1120-scaled.jpg

IMG_1103-scaled.jpg

DSC02078-scaled.jpg

prof.contingency

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thought I'd show off a new pair I just received from Acme. A plain toe derby in brown embossed “pig calf” leather from Tannery Haas, with rubber topy. They are made on my personal MTM lasts, which had some small fit modifications – mainly at the arch area and more room for my pinky toes – and where the toe was shorted a bit. The already quite good fit is now really great, and I personally like the balance with the new toe shape. The make is excellent, a clear improvement from my already really good first pair. A bunch of pics below, a lot more and some more info on the shoes, and also about Acme's new webshop in this article for those interested.

IMG_1129-scaled.jpg

IMG_1150-scaled.jpg

IMG_1157-scaled.jpg

DSC07979-scaled.jpg

DSC08033-scaled.jpg

DSC08081-scaled.jpg

IMG_1191-scaled.jpg

IMG_1120-scaled.jpg

IMG_1103-scaled.jpg

DSC02078-scaled.jpg
Looks great, Jesper! Interesting choice with the topys, but I guess it's always snowy/salty up there. Great photography too.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks great, Jesper! Interesting choice with the topys, but I guess it's always snowy/salty up there. Great photography too.

Thank you! Yeah, I need more shoes for rainy days and salt/gravel filled streets etc, yet like refined things, so in a couple of occasions I go with topys, have it on a pair of Hiro Yanagimachi's and on a pair from Blazing Wonder Shoes as well.

boot_owl

Reaction score

IMG_1129-scaled.jpg

IMG_1150-scaled.jpg

IMG_1157-scaled.jpg

DSC07979-scaled.jpg

DSC08033-scaled.jpg

DSC08081-scaled.jpg

IMG_1191-scaled.jpg

IMG_1120-scaled.jpg

IMG_1103-scaled.jpg

DSC02078-scaled.jpg
That pig embossing is awesome. I've been on the hunt for a good shoe-quality pig leather so I hope to see more of this!

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why not choose actual pigskin, printed calf is easier to work with?

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That pig embossing is awesome. I've been on the hunt for a good shoe-quality pig leather so I hope to see more of this!

Yeah it's one of Haas' best prints IMO!

Most pigskin is too thin for men's shoes, that's why it's mostly used for lining when it comes to shoes, or women's uppers. There's some sturdier stuff as well though that goes for men's shoes, but harder to get a hold off. For example I have a pair from Calzoleria Carlino incoming in a vintage real pigskin.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

IMG_1129-scaled.jpg

IMG_1150-scaled.jpg

IMG_1157-scaled.jpg

DSC07979-scaled.jpg

DSC08033-scaled.jpg

DSC08081-scaled.jpg

IMG_1191-scaled.jpg

IMG_1120-scaled.jpg

IMG_1103-scaled.jpg

DSC02078-scaled.jpg

Did you so your measurements in person or remote?

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Won't be green, though. Thank you, Geoff Johns, for all the different corps

883F455B-1117-44C0-9F64-E19CB95B3F8C.jpeg
6AE090CE-843E-49E8-BEA2-A1A8F86D383B.jpeg

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah it's one of Haas' best prints IMO!

Most pigskin is too thin for men's shoes, that's why it's mostly used for lining when it comes to shoes, or women's uppers. There's some sturdier stuff as well though that goes for men's shoes, but harder to get a hold off. For example I have a pair from Calzoleria Carlino incoming in a vintage real pigskin.

and what's the difference between peccary and pigskin (and do the insider sometimes use these terms "not precisely"), seems like sometimes it's used interchangeably, even though peccary should be something very specific?

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and what's the difference between peccary and pigskin (and do the insider sometimes use these terms "not precisely"), seems like sometimes it's used interchangeably, even though peccary should be something very specific?

Peccary is a specific race of wild boars, so technically peccary leather is pigskin, but pigskin is usually not peccary leather. It's quite common that pigskin is called peccary though, which is wrong, perhaps since peccary is a well-known rather durable leather.

sldsd

Reaction score

Peccary is a bit difficult to handle. Sometimes the fiore begin to exfoliate when lasting. My firend who works for an Italian GY shoe workshop told me when there is a order of Cinghiale shoes, they always prepare to make the pair again.

Last edited:

sldsd

Reaction score
Cinghiale means boar in Italian. It started after World War 2, when there was a shortage of many materials, some people statred to use cinghiale for leathers goods & shoes, bamboo for bag handle (Gucci eg.) In Florence you can still try Ragù di cinghiale. Hermès also have small leather goods in cinghiale leather.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads