• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The high end Chinese Shoe Thread

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So pretty comparable to Xibao/OctTenth/Yeossal in price term then, would be interesting to hear your opinion on how they compare.

by the way now Yeossal affiliate thread is closed, do any of you guys has sizing experience with Yeossal’s last, saw some stuff on B&S...

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I believe so, excluding embargoed countries like Cuba and the DPRK of course.
As far as your previous question, I'm not sure what fees DHL or other shipping companies may charge, I only know of those duties from US Customs. Probably best to contact DHL and ask them.

oh on the DHL stuff I’m referring to when it’s over $800 I know they charge bunch absurd processing fee that you can’t get around in addition to import duty, so usually skip DHL when it’s over $800...

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So pretty comparable to Xibao/OctTenth/Yeossal in price term then, would be interesting to hear your opinion on how they compare.

by the way now Yeossal affiliate thread is closed, do any of you guys has sizing experience with Yeossal’s last, saw some stuff on B&S...
I’ll do an unboxing video for each one as I’m expecting a SpTD pair from Yeossal as well then I’ll make a video comparing all 3.

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On me the YR8 last (Scotts model) fit full in the instep. My guess is that the OT lasts are pretty similar to the Yeossal ones.

Kangnamstyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I’m planning on doing a comparison of four Y shoes in four different lasts, one Oct 10, and one Wayman once they all arrive in the next few weeks.

ashwinrao1

Reaction score
Hephaestus is great. They respond rapidly via their account on Facebook and via Thanh Le's personal account. Their quality is great, through their nongrain leathers seem to crease on me a bit more than I'd like. I have a standard width. He will ask for your measurements, and decide which last to put you in. He fit me into his legacy (L) last, and it's honestly perfect. The fitting is nearly bespoke. I now have 3 pairs, including a wingtip derby (my first pair), a pair of customs (that I designed and he made; a really cool option if you are up for it), and a pair of annonay dark brown grain split toes which are the best of the bunch (leather is not creasing, and this design and last work well. Vladimir went for the same idea in black grain....Cost is around $450-$550, depending on leather, whether or not you get a lasted shoe tree (yes, please do, as they are great), and whether you get a wooden box (which then entitles you to a 5% discount moving forward). I am very happy with Hephaestus and consider the qualitty to be up their with brands such as Y by Yeossal, and others. They compare quite favorably to much higher end shoes. If he upped the game of his patina leather, I think they'd truly be hard to beat, as you can customize as much as you wish, and he's game to work with you on that. Turn around times are generally about 1-2 months, though he quotes 30 days. Shipping from Vietman is through a regional post and hand off. My first pair took 2 weeks. The next 2 pairs took 3 days...go figure

ashwinrao1

Reaction score
Hephaestus Split Toe Derby - Dark Brown Hatch Grain-1.jpg
HEPHAESTUS CUSTOM REVERSE STITCH APRON WHOLECUT-2.jpg
Hephaestus-1.jpg

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On me the YR8 last (Scotts model) fit full in the instep. My guess is that the OT lasts are pretty similar to the Yeossal ones.

doesn't help that Yeossal use "Euro" sizing while OctTenth use UK sizing, not sure if the conversion on Yeossal is "same" either...

edit: if instep is high in general then I'm good, but I worry about toebox, and I read various description on Yeossal that says x fits narrower etc., wonder how "narrow" is narrower...

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
doesn't help that Yeossal use "Euro" sizing while OctTenth use UK sizing, not sure if the conversion on Yeossal is "same" either...

edit: if instep is high in general then I'm good, but I worry about toebox, and I read various description on Yeossal that says x fits narrower etc., wonder how "narrow" is narrower...
Yeah, Yeossal has almost a proprietary sizing model, I seem to remember. Mine were listed as 41/7.5, when normally it's 41.5 that is the 7.5 equivalent with most brands.

At any rate, I saw those shoes for sale. Great value!

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well I was looking at B&S

hkoldguy

Reaction score
Didn’t know you guys will be discussing Hephaestus in this Chinese shoes maker thread, I have just received my pair last week and here are some of the photos.

I have opted for the handwelted option with metal tip, which on second thought, might not be the best idea.

Overall I think the shoes are great, the fit was good following the instructions to measure the feet. As you can see the upper stitching are tidy and neat. Not sure about the leather quality yet as I have only wore them once but so far I feel the leather is quite good.

Why did I say the Handwelted and metal tips could be mistake? If you look at the stitching of the sole, it seems they are quite far apart, and they can definitely be a bit more dense. Particularly when he has used a very high spi wheel marking, the two contrasts look a bit odd. Furthermore, you will see the wheel marking at the toe area have appeared to be gone, which again is very big contrast of what they are the rest of the shoes.

for the metal tip, I just prefer one to be smooth. As you can see from the side view, the nails are popping out slightly which is not what I prefer.

overall this is still a good pair of shoes for the price

D10BA620-FAC7-442A-A084-A6DB7D1A9A9A.jpeg
96FA5E79-AA38-4212-BDA7-DE0A4C6446C6.jpeg
153DE0E9-90A5-4C3A-9461-485AD3639778.jpeg
39C5EC02-86F1-40C6-A8CA-6AA6C393D70D.jpeg
DC8EC79F-CE19-487B-83DD-B655EBA85BDD.jpeg
85844F54-7301-4CCE-A934-EB0A123F504F.jpeg
3D92835B-5BCE-493A-95D4-F0F1393F2460.jpeg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads