• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The high end Chinese Shoe Thread

andrel42

Reaction score

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Jmr928 Could you comment a little on the fit issues and sizing perhaps ?
Sure thing - I’m typically a 9.5UK but probably closer to a true 9.25 with a lowish instep and feet on the narrow side of average. The shoes from yeossal have a higher instep and overall this last had a bit too much volume for me. They’re great shoes though and I’ve since switched to a last modified for me and am expecting another pair here soon. Best fit guidance I can suggest is this would be a good fit for someone with an average width 9.5UK with an instep on the higher side. I believe you’re a Vass fan - closest comp I have around is Vass U in 44. The instep on the Y 9.5 in SG65 might be a little higher than Vass U 44 by a mm or two.

andrel42

Reaction score
Sure thing - I’m typically a 9.5UK but probably closer to a true 9.25 with a lowish instep and feet on the narrow side of average. The shoes from yeossal have a higher instep and overall this last had a bit too much volume for me. They’re great shoes though and I’ve since switched to a last modified for me and am expecting another pair here soon. Best fit guidance I can suggest is this would be a good fit for someone with an average width 9.5UK with an instep on the higher side. I believe you’re a Vass fan - closest comp I have around is Vass U in 44. The instep on the Y 9.5 in SG65 might be a little higher than Vass U 44 by a mm or two.

Thanks so much for these comments, and a very nice of split-toes. Also had some fit issues with a pair of captoe Oxfords on the YC8 last (instep and width). I will try stretching them a little. I am sure you will be able to sell these quickly!

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for these comments, and a very nice of split-toes. Also had some fit issues with a pair of captoe Oxfords on the YC8 last (instep and width). I will try stretching them a little. I am sure you will be able to sell these quickly!
Thanks - Once you dial in your fit they’re a great shoe and value. Just got the notification my next pair is ready so hopefully sometime this week or next I’ll receive my next order and will be able to update my review of them and take a look at their new fully handmade option with hand sewn soles.

andrel42

Reaction score
Thanks - Once you dial in your fit they’re a great shoe and value. Just got the notification my next pair is ready so hopefully sometime this week or next I’ll receive my next order and will be able to update my review of them and take a look at their new fully handmade option with hand sewn soles.

I look forward to your review!

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slimshoes delivered perfectly fitted shoes. Couldn't ask for more. It is absurdly good value for money.
IMG_0480.JPG
IMG_0475.JPG

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, Yearn=Slimshoe and everything is really well-made. Great craftsmanship. Also yes to the question about crust+patina.

AunToni

Reaction score
Anyone know any good cobblers who do resoling (both blake stitched and goodyear) in China?

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Figure I’ll post this here as well as the Yeossal thread. A short backstory - I’d ordered a pair of punched balmorals from Yeossal and they were unfortunately damaged during lasting and they were out of the leather I’d had in mind for that pair so I called an audible and switched to their adelaide. Not a big deal and it happens. These include the “handmade” option for hand sewn soles - You can add it to the notes for $200SGD. I opted for dark brown annonay box calf because I’m not a huge fan of most crust. Edit to add pictures from today from the first wear.
6CFAA44C-40FA-41E3-8775-0D2F5578F1D9.jpeg
648E08BB-A0AF-4C2C-9418-84A6CFCCDCC2.jpeg
4808BE92-DBFD-4BAD-8230-215B89FAFBB0.jpeg
708A809E-B268-4411-8B5C-2E3BCB0B26C3.jpeg
6814B359-31DC-4746-8C25-3073250F4F04.jpeg

656FB06D-B422-4EA9-AB42-C022F5FDD25C.jpeg

Pros: One of the quicker MTO options out there at 2-4 months depending on how things are going. Tons of options - Patterns, lasts, leathers, add ons. Price I’d rank as good - there are better deals out there if you’re looking hard enough but this is one of the more accessible options with an easy to use customization tool. Lasts - They have a nice shape to them and are some of the better looking but still accessible lasts available. You’re not going to wind up with something that’s too crazy. Even the most chiseled last in their SG65 is still not crazy. The hand sewn soles are executed really, really well on this pair. Finally - Customer service. This is a big one - I’m a relatively low-maintenance customer. I place my order and expect radio silence until it’s time for a shipping notification but got updated on the delay and remake. They also are one of the few to offer returns on MTO (you take a 25% haircut but it’s better than the secondary market trying to get 60-70% back).

Cons: If we are nitpicking the closing could be better and a little cleaner. Some crooked stitch lines here and there are the main one here. Nothing that is visible from say a few feet away and I don’t expect perfection at this price point but these aren’t cheap shoes if you’re not used to what you actually get at each level I could see some guys being concerned.
General making - a couple brogue holes are partially punched. Again, these are factory made hand welted shoes at an entry level price so we’ve gotta be realistic. If you want perfection grab the wallet and go drop €1,000+. I don’t work in the shoe industry but always tell clients you can have two of the three on this list perfect, inexpensive, fast. Your call on what you want to prioritize.

Fit - Trying MTO is always a gamble with a new brand and no trial shoes. This isn’t Yeossal exclusive but I wouldn’t recommend them to someone with no experience in welted shoes. Between their team and the Yeossal thread if you’ve got a basic understanding of fit and have tried some other shoes on you should be able to manage but it’s still a risk. Their lasts are higher volume and higher instep. If you know that going in you should be ok.

Overall - These are a really solid value for the money, the lasts look nice, I’ve got my fit dialed in at this point and I like the options I can select. I’d put these a step above Vass or EB, a step below Meccariello. Which is exactly where they slot in price wise as well.

Last edited:

Eddie.Lin

Reaction score
Anyone know any good cobblers who do resoling (both blake stitched and goodyear) in China?
I've had good luck with this cobbler on Taobao,

AunToni

Reaction score
I've had good luck with this cobbler on Taobao,
Thanks, do they have a physical location/store? Shoes are too expensive to send to someone I don't know/never met.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads