• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The high end Chinese Shoe Thread

Kangnamstyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all, first post here :)

Just received in a pair from Helen Shoemaker / Blazing Wonders today. Happy to say that I am pleased with the final result. I provided my measurements through Instagram and was a bit weary that it would not fit right but Helen seems to know her lasts very well. Considering i have a difficult foot to fit (narrow heel, wide width but low instep), the stock Z last holds my nicely with no heel slippage. To compare, I've put it next a pair of Oct. Tenth Adelaide oxfords on the Huang last which is the best shoe in my small but growing collection. I would say overall, I still prefer the fit & finish of Oct. Tenth Pair but you can't deny how good that sole looks.

View attachment 2172437 View attachment 2172433 View attachment 2172429
Looks great! What guidance did you give her to have to select the Z last

evangel21

Reaction score
H
Hi all, first post here :)

Just received in a pair from Helen Shoemaker / Blazing Wonders today. Happy to say that I am pleased with the final result. I provided my measurements through Instagram and was a bit weary that it would not fit right but Helen seems to know her lasts very well. Considering i have a difficult foot to fit (narrow heel, wide width but low instep), the stock Z last holds my nicely with no heel slippage. To compare, I've put it next a pair of Oct. Tenth Adelaide oxfords on the Huang last which is the best shoe in my small but growing collection. I would say overall, I still prefer the fit & finish of Oct. Tenth Pair but you can't deny how good that sole looks.

View attachment 2172437 View attachment 2172433 View attachment 2172429

Helen is great to work with and really helpful. I wanted a soft square and she suggested the Z last based on my Oct Tenth Huang and Pu lasts fittings and feet shape and measurements.

The Z last is a nice last.

Finishing wise I don’t see a considerable difference. The welt finishing on my Oct Tenth split toe derby wasn’t clean tho my Oct Tenth Oxford pair was much cleaner.
BW welt finish was not bad.
When you factor in the price difference, it makes BW a great proposition.

wjocon

Reaction score
H

Helen is great to work with and really helpful. I wanted a soft square and she suggested the Z last based on my Oct Tenth Huang and Pu lasts fittings and feet shape and measurements.

The Z last is a nice last.

Finishing wise I don’t see a considerable difference. The welt finishing on my Oct Tenth split toe derby wasn’t clean tho my Oct Tenth Oxford pair was much cleaner.
BW welt finish was not bad.
When you factor in the price difference, it makes BW a great proposition.
I can agree that there is little between the two shoes to justify the additional spend. Between BW and Oct. Tenth there was a $350 ($1000 BW > $1350 Oct10) AUD difference for me. I guess you can argue that you get the hand finishing for the sole stitch makes up for that price but i forget that the minute there on my feet anyway.

Sons of Henry was running a decent discount at the start of this year which is the only reason I ordered my upcoming Split-toe derby from Oct Tenth.

Would love to try out Jim Jun in future or Acme if they ever fix their website

kid1002

Reaction score
A follow-up to this MTO journey:

3/27 - MTO commissioned
4/12 - Received try-on shoes
4/15 - Consultation with cobbler via WeChat

I reiceved my try-on shoes after about two weeks. I commissioned the pair in size 41 to start things off, knowing my left foot is half size smaller at roughly about size 40.5, and have asked the Oct Tenth team to give me some additional roominess for my instep.

(Please excuse my dirty floor. Was too excited to try these shoes on without doing house keeping.)

View attachment 2170091 View attachment 2170093

At first glance, it's basically what I had commissioned for: an altered take on single monks with a chiseled toe.

This pair of try-on shoes were made in cheap leather without interlining, but eventually these are going to be made in dark brown Janus suede.

View attachment 2170095

(I had a difficult time choosing between tan/sand Repello on the left and dark brown Janus on the right)

There are problems, however, and I am glad I spent additional money to have them make try-on shoes for me before going straight to a finished pair.

As you can see Oct Tenth basically made both shoes too long for me. I was able to fit about 1.5 fingers into the empty space at the heel, and I would say these were roughly half a size too large for me.

View attachment 2170097 View attachment 2170099

Upon consultation with their cobbler online, Oct Tenth proactively offered to make me a new pair of try-on shoes while having these old ones for me to keep.

I am expecting the new pair to arrive before May.

Try-on shoes round 2. Great fit all around. No gaping as well.
Need to adjust strap points but that should be an easy fix.

Timeline:
3/27 - MTO commissioned
4/12 - Received try-on shoes
4/15 - Consultation with cobbler via WeChat
4/26 - Received try-on shoes round 2

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads