The Grey or Navy Suit for Business Rule?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TyCooN, Feb 5, 2013.

1. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I think it is a male only rule from what I can gather.

Women in general have a lot more flexibility in what they wear in a business setting; I once was in a meeting with a member of the management committee of a Wall St. investment bank who was wearing a very well cut burgundy blazer, something no man at that firm would have been caught dead in including the CEO. I believe women's suits have also been around for a shorter period of time than men's lounge suits, so the same norms probably never developed.

2. Macallan

Macallan Senior member

It is a male-only rule; however, from my experience 'dark business suit' is more common now, with a mid-grey suit being a 'grey area'

Women generally wear black suits and when they do not wear black, they avoid navy and dark greys.

3. TyCooN

TyCooN Senior member

thanks for the info this clears up a lot

very interesting

4. tim_horton

tim_horton Senior member

I think I asked this question a little while back in the "Ask a Question" thread...And basically was told that men are from Mars, women are form Venus, and the "rules" of classic clothing for each are just different, with a different history and different traditions.

Example: a criticism of men wearing black suits is that it looks too similar to a tuxedo. Obviously the tuxedo doesn't play a role in a woman's wardrobe, so she's more free to wear a black dress.

However, that doesn't explain how many criticize black suits becuase they make men look washed out, but that criticism is never leveled at women.

I know I prefer midnight blue to black for suiting; maybe women's dresses would look better to me in midnight blue as well.

5. TyCooN

TyCooN Senior member

Maybe because most men aren't particular about a woman's appearance as long as she's physically attractive. Barring a mud stain on her outfit many men will be forgiving about a woman's outfit

6. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

My guess is that the "rule" is from a time when women in business were rather rare and did not wear suits.