• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The French and the JM Weston Signature 180 loafer

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Having strolled through Paris recently, I am astonished at the prevalence of the JM Weston signature loafer. I see it on men of all ages, in all colors, hides, and conditions (from decrepit to pristine). In no other city I've visited have I seen such a uniformity of shoes. A few pics:
west7.jpg
IMG_0005.jpg
I see black a lot -- usually in better condition -- with everything from suits to jeans. I see dark brown suede a lot (one of my favorites). Usually with jeans or something else casual. Then I see chestnut pebble grain, usually decrepit, usually with tan pants or jeans. Smooth browns (dark or lighter) I don't see as much. I have seen a surprising number of pairs in navy leather and in black suede. I like the navy, can't stand black suede. Then there are the JMW-lookalikes. All very well done. Finsbury, LodinG, Bowen, and Bexley all make them, with Finsbury and LodinG having a slightly different penny cut out from JMW but identical to each other (and both under EUR 200, which is less than 50% the price of the originals). Bowen probably has the best made cheaper-than-JMW knockoff, made by Alfred Sargent, with an identical penny cutout but slightly different stitching on the side of the vamp (where the beefroll would be on other pennies). These are EUR 275. Bowen also has a really nice version in dark brown pebble grain with single Dainite soles. I think these are very practical and I wish JMW made them themselves. Bexley's look the least like the original, are the least attractive, and are the least expensive. Then there's also the JLP Lopez, which is essentially an attempt at one-upmanship on the JMW 180, but a failed one at that IMO. The circular elliptical cutout is just odd.
lobb1jz8.jpg
A few questions: 1. Is there some Parisian code associated with the JMW 180? Does one color signify one thing, and another another thing? 2. I thought these shoes were over in the 1980s..what gives? 3. Is everyone really spending the equivalent of $600+ on loafers? 4. Not a question but an observation -- I saw a bum wearing an ancient pair of JMWs in the metro, and it was the coolest thing ever. The weirdest thing is that I didn't see anyone wearing loafers other than JMWs or JMW lookalikes! Maybe a few pairs of Sebago Beefrolls, but that's it! No English-style loafers, very few tassle loafers, certainly no Alden-looking loafers, no Weejuns. Very odd.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
J'ai des frissons quand ça me tÃ
00a9.png
00a9.png
phone
L'emission sur la tÃ
00a9.png
00a9.png
00a9.png
sonne
J'allume une cigarette et m'Ã
00a9.png
tonne
De me sentir bien dans mes westons
Les pietons marchent sans regarder
Les pigeons discutent sur les pavÃ
00a9.png
s
Ton visage ne veux pas s'effaçer
J'n'arriverais pas à m'en sÃ
00a9.png
parer

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Very nice. Who sings that?

I think this is a very nice loafer, but wonder why I don't really see it ever on SF....

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Weston loafers are the favourite shoe of the Jeunesse doree especially in PARIS....
When I was preparing my Baccalaureat in 1988, all my friends had at least 2 pair of JM WESTON loafers in brown and black...
They're versatile ,elegant and also a bit of a class symbol ...
I worked one month to pay my first pair and I was so proud of them...

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much do these cost in US dollars? Where can i get a pair? The have a JM Weston store somewhere in nyc, but i would prefer to buy them online and not for the retail price. Any suggestions as to where i can get these with a slight discount?

I know the JM Weston store here has a sale twice a year, but i dont believe their more classic models go on sale.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JSC4President
How much do these cost in US dollars? Where can i get a pair? The have a JM Weston store somewhere in nyc, but i would prefer to buy them online and not for the retail price. Any suggestions as to where i can get these with a slight discount? I know the JM Weston store here has a sale twice a year, but i dont believe their more classic models go on sale.
First the shameless self-promotion. If you're a size 7 (US), the pair in the first picture in the OP are currently on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220427063502 at a very reasonable price. I always wondered what it was about this shoe that gave it the iconic reputation it seems to have, that was until I found this pair and saw the shoe for the first time in person. In pictures they always appeared rather clunky and boxy. In person they are far more sleek and the construction and leather are first rate. They are available at Leffot in NYC at $625.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
What you have to understand is that below the Arnys level, most French remain unshod even this many years after the Revolution.

Plus, they are ruled by Hungarians and Italians now.

- B

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett
2. I thought these shoes were over in the 1980s..what gives?

Have you tried them? 180s are some of the most comfortable shoes in the history of shoes. And beautifully made, too.

Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett
The weirdest thing is that I didn't see anyone wearing loafers other than JMWs or JMW lookalikes! Maybe a few pairs of Sebago Beefrolls, but that's it! No English-style loafers, very few tassle loafers, certainly no Alden-looking loafers, no Weejuns. Very odd.

That is because English-style loafers are dreadfully ugly. The English probably invented the double monk, so they could have a beautiful shoe with no laces, because their loafers are so awful. (One exception is the old JL Monaco boat shoe.) Ditto American-style tassel loafers. As for Weejuns, in France they likely cost nearly JM Weston money, yet...

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wasn't the Lopez originally sold by Hermes and was around before the JM Weston loafer?

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura2010
As for Weejuns, in France they likely cost nearly JM Weston money, yet...

I didn't even know shoe design professors existed. Not complaining, mind you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads