• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Buffalo Wing Thread

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was in school, a friend of a friend used to manage the location at Woodruff and High. He said that in the last round of the contest, when they did it by weight instead of number of wings, the winners had to swallow the bones.

BWB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
When I was in school, a friend of a friend used to manage the location at Woodruff and High. He said that in the last round of the contest, when they did it by weight instead of number of wings, the winners had to swallow the bones.

You know that place is gone. Totally tore down and Happy Panda is in its place. The BWs on south campus is gone as well.

The new bw's is at the coroner of Lane and High (north of lane and west of high). 2 stories with a patio upstairs and down.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes... I still get to C-bus a few times a year for Games. I'll be there for a wedding the weekend before labor day. The new BW3 is a travesty, as it sits atop what was once a great bike shop, and a bar called the Jailhouse nee Alcatraz that was home to MANY a drunken make-out for me at Thursday Night '80s parties. The south campus location was actually the very first BW3 ever. It was sad to see that go. That little gateway area is much nicer than what we had in my day, but I still hate Les Wexner for burning down Papa Joe's.

Cavalier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BWB
Thurman's Cafe in Columbus has gigantic wings. The sauce is okay but not the best. For me, a bigger wing is not always better. It is the sauce and the deep frying. Proper wings are a bit crispy on the outside. Winking Lizard would be an awesome place if they just had decent food. The wings are okay, but not great. Cannot beat the beer selection though. Have you done the World Series of Beer Tour?
I can't stand Thurman's (mainly how long it takes), and I found a better burger, O'Reilly's on High St. north of the campus across the street from the Giant Eagle. They have happy hour beer specials as well (I believe half off). Working class establishment with a bunch of locals and a sunken bar (awesome) I am not in Cleveland enough to do the world tour, and the closest winking lizard in Columbus is like a 20+ minute high way drive (and I have 100's of places within a mile or two for beer and food). Check out Ohio Wings and Brew on High St. next door to BW3. Thursday is 50 cent boneless (huge 8 is a huge meal) and I believe Monday or Tuesday has a bone-in special. The sauces are made in house and vary each time I go, the hot garlic is the general stand out though. They have the most amazing blue cheese with huge delicious chunks. Tons of happy hour specials, but not the greatest sit down setup-- I saw Maurice Claret and a bunch of other football players there all the time (along with Little Bar). I live across the street and used to get take out all the time.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Almost forgot Hot Wings Cafe in Glendale/Melrose/Pasadena. Only been there a few times but I'd say their wings are the best in LA. The owner went out of his way to make sure that everything was done right when he first opened the joints in the 80s.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went to my first Buffalo Wild Wings two weeks ago and had a good meal. I really liked mixing the different sauces.

ComboOrgan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Duff's yet. I'd put them on par with Anchor Bar easily although some people prefer them over AB.

Yeah, Duff's seems to be the preference among "wing snobs" in Buffalo, and with good reason.

Anchor Bar's wings are good, but I think they are pushing their brand cache by charging $9 for 10 wings.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No breading and preferably drums. They need to be spicy, but not so spicy that flavor no longer exists and you cant enjoy them. There is one place in Long Beach Island, NJ called The Chicken or The egg. Definitely the best wings I have ever had. http://www.492fowl.com/

Kevin

Reaction score
Duff's. The place is a WNY institution. They've been frying wings there for so long the interior has taken on a faint yellow patina from all the grease particulates in the air.

Anchor bar is good too, but can be a bit of a tourist trap.

Wings made at home must be deep fried. Baking, broiling or any other method inevitably leaves them soggy and unfulfilling.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone give me an easy buffalo wing recipe.

I loved take out while I was at school but that **** gets expensive and makes you broke.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Someone give me an easy buffalo wing recipe. I loved take out while I was at school but that **** gets expensive and makes you broke.
Here's an easy version: 1 dozen wings, pat completely dry, season with s&p, deep fry in peanut oil for about 15 minutes. Sauce: 5 oz bottle of Frank's Red Hot; 1/2 stick unsalted butter; 3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped; 1/2 teaspoon of sugar; juice of 1/4 lime; pepper. Cook everything in a pot for about 10-15 minutes to let the flavors meld together. If you want to up the ante, add in one chopped habanero. Mix wings in sauce immediately after wings are cooked. Proceed to eat with fingers on one hand, beer on the other.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kevin
Duff's. The place is a WNY institution. They've been frying wings there for so long the interior has taken on a faint yellow patina from all the grease particulates in the air.
Isn't that the truth... My roommate in college was spoiled by his parents to the point that they would overnight express orders of Duffs to him. Best. Care packages. Ever. I'm glad I went to Duff's before AB. I think my tastes would have been fairly biased by the historical aspect had I gone to the latter first. Where's evilgeniusdan so we can derail this thread and talk beef on weck.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Here's an easy version:

1 dozen wings, pat completely dry, season with s&p, deep fry in peanut oil for about 15 minutes.

Sauce: 5 oz bottle of Frank's Red Hot; 1/2 stick unsalted butter; 3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped; 1/2 teaspoon of sugar; juice of 1/4 lime; pepper. Cook everything in a pot for about 10-15 minutes to let the flavors meld together. If you want to up the ante, add in one chopped habanero.

Mix wings in sauce immediately after wings are cooked. Proceed to eat with fingers on one hand, beer on the other.

Thanks.

Is putting them in an oven an acceptable substitute to frying?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Thanks.

Is putting them in an oven an acceptable substitute to frying?

The skin isn't going to be as crispy, but there's no shame in that. Make sure your chicken is very dry, and the oven at very high heat (e.g. 450 degrees or more).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads