• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The day I disagreed with Flusser

cuffthis

Reaction score
3/19/2005. I will remember this day. It is the day I read something written by Alan Flusser that made me shake my head violently in a no fashion. No, nooo, nooooooo. In the Spring, 2005 Menswear magazine, in the column titled  Ask Alan, Flusser is posed the question "Can I wear a short-sleeved dress shirt?" His reponse: "Yes, especially if you have attractive elbows. Bare wrists cannot dress the hand like a buttoned or a french cuff, but if neckties are de riguer and you can slip on a jacket when needed, as long as your shirt collar flatters and your comfort translates into superior humor, why not share the cool?" Alan, have you lost your senses? Please tell me someone ghost wrote this for you and you didn't have a chance to edit it before it was published. Please, please.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
omg.gif

AskAndyAboutClothes

Reaction score
cuffthis:

I've been known to disagree with Alan.

When I first read this, I though it was his sense of humor, but Alan doesn't have a sense of humor so it must be a mistake or ghost written..

Well, I'll be writing yet another e-mail to Menswear..

Andy

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
This is -- not right.

Jill

Reaction score
OMG. Say it isn't so.

I think the editor must be playing a dirty trick on him ~ or trying to get him fired, or otherwise destroy his credibility.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it was supposed to be released on April 1 along with an article explaining that tennis shoes with black suit, plaid shirt, striped tie is the new business standard.

lisapop

Reaction score
And Alan Flusser is an authority on style because....??? (Extended silence, the chirping of crickets heard, people shrugging their shoulders in bewilderment)
Grayson

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, especially if you have attractive elbows.

That may go down as the stupidest reason I've ever read.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, especially if you have attractive elbows.
That may go down as the stupidest reason I've ever read.
The play on the humours leads be to believe it's a joke. At least I certainly hope so.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The question is why doesn't Flusser contribute to this board or AA if he swings that way. BTW, whatever happened to Roetzel. I love that book of his and am sorry that he didn't follow up with something similar or update. Why is he on this board?

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it must be a joke.

What's next, the bespoke vinyl pocket protector?

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The question is why doesn't Flusser contribute to this board or AA if he swings that way.
I am a member because I enjoy sharing my shirtmaking knowledge with fellows who enjoy learning. My frame of mind, my station in life, is one of a teacher. This is why I also enjoy owning my little art school in the Hamptons and teaching children on Saturdays and during the Summer. The appreciation I receive from forum members who have come to grasp a previously foreign concept, method, or idea is personally very rewarding.

Along with the enjoyment I get from sharing knowledge, I am forced to accept the ever-present defamation and imbecilic sophistry of such unbalanced twits as Marc Grayson/Goldstein who spew forth an unending barrage of exaggerations, innuendo and lies in an effort to injure my reputation. Though at times I wonder why I remain here and put up with such continuous incivility on the part of so very few, I know that is why Alan, and many other industry notables, do not.

lisapop

Reaction score
The question is why doesn't Flusser contribute to this board or AA if he swings that way.
Quite possibly because he's much too busy enjoying his new life as a kept man. Not that I don't envy him
smile.gif
Grayson

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My earlier post prompted me to do some research about Roetzel. Apparently he has been busily writing books, just not in English. Too bad.

Alex, my post about Alan was a little tongue in cheek, but yes I absolutely understand how trying it is dealing with some of the extra "special" members of the board.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads