The day I disagreed with Flusser

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by cuffthis, Mar 19, 2005.

1. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

3/19/2005. I will remember this day. It is the day I read something written by Alan Flusser that made me shake my head violently in a no fashion. No, nooo, nooooooo. In the Spring, 2005 Menswear magazine, in the column titled  Ask Alan, Flusser is posed the question "Can I wear a short-sleeved dress shirt?" His reponse: "Yes, especially if you have attractive elbows. Bare wrists cannot dress the hand like a buttoned or a french cuff, but if neckties are de riguer and you can slip on a jacket when needed, as long as your shirt collar flatters and your comfort translates into superior humor, why not share the cool?" Alan, have you lost your senses? Please tell me someone ghost wrote this for you and you didn't have a chance to edit it before it was published. Please, please.

2. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

[​IMG]

3. AskAndyAboutClothes

AskAndyAboutClothes Senior member

cuffthis:

I've been known to disagree with Alan.

When I first read this, I though it was his sense of humor, but Alan doesn't have a sense of humor so it must be a mistake or ghost written..

Well, I'll be writing yet another e-mail to Menswear..

Andy

4. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

This is -- not right.

5. Jill

Jill Senior member

OMG. Say it isn't so.

I think the editor must be playing a dirty trick on him ~ or trying to get him fired, or otherwise destroy his credibility.

6. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

I think it was supposed to be released on April 1 along with an article explaining that tennis shoes with black suit, plaid shirt, striped tie is the new business standard.

7. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

And Alan Flusser is an authority on style because....??? (Extended silence, the chirping of crickets heard, people shrugging their shoulders in bewilderment)
    Grayson

8. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

That may go down as the stupidest reason I've ever read.

9. Horace

Horace Senior member

Yes, especially if you have attractive elbows.
    That may go down as the stupidest reason I've ever read.
    The play on the humours leads be to believe it's a joke. At least I certainly hope so.

10. misterbowles

misterbowles Senior member

LOL, especially if it's a joke.

11. maxnharry

maxnharry Senior member

The question is why doesn't Flusser contribute to this board or AA if he swings that way. BTW, whatever happened to Roetzel. I love that book of his and am sorry that he didn't follow up with something similar or update. Why is he on this board?

12. Kai

Kai Senior member

I think it must be a joke.

What's next, the bespoke vinyl pocket protector?

13. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

I am a member because I enjoy sharing my shirtmaking knowledge with fellows who enjoy learning. My frame of mind, my station in life, is one of a teacher. This is why I also enjoy owning my little art school in the Hamptons and teaching children on Saturdays and during the Summer. The appreciation I receive from forum members who have come to grasp a previously foreign concept, method, or idea is personally very rewarding.

Along with the enjoyment I get from sharing knowledge, I am forced to accept the ever-present defamation and imbecilic sophistry of such unbalanced twits as Marc Grayson/Goldstein who spew forth an unending barrage of exaggerations, innuendo and lies in an effort to injure my reputation. Though at times I wonder why I remain here and put up with such continuous incivility on the part of so very few, I know that is why Alan, and many other industry notables, do not.

14. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

Quite possibly because he's much too busy enjoying his new life as a kept man. Not that I don't envy him [​IMG] Grayson

15. maxnharry

maxnharry Senior member

My earlier post prompted me to do some research about Roetzel. Apparently he has been busily writing books, just not in English. Too bad.

Alex, my post about Alan was a little tongue in cheek, but yes I absolutely understand how trying it is dealing with some of the extra "special" members of the board.