• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cape

BC2012

Reaction score
Originally Posted by magogian12345
Anyone watching the pilot tonight?

Nope. If, someone, it gets better than the "this show is ******* terrible" reviews that I expect, I might watch it later on.

I've got the BC-Nevada game to watch.

BC2012

Reaction score
Yeah? I'll check it out then. It reminded me of the Birds of Prey crap they tried to run on the WB a few years back. Dark, brooding, odd comedy at odd times, destined for cult followings that decry its cancellation as the worst thing ever.

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score
You can tell just from the trailer that it's highly derivative and more than a little campy. They totally stole the visual and rhetorical tone from the most recent Batman franchise and the avenging father with the wife and kid scenario seems not only melodramatic but corny. And then there is the magic, which while not necessarily as silly as shooting lazer beams from ones eyes or controlling the weather, is more than a little passe. But that is nitpicking.

I hope it goes down in flames, and maybe, just freaking maybe, the networks will replace it with something that isn't a crass attempt to capitalize on what is currently popular in a lowest common denominator form. Maybe we can get a series that's good because it has well written characters and a smartly laid-out plot that is devoid of soap operaness and tired conventions.

God I miss David Milch.

BC2012

Reaction score
Originally Posted by boogaboogabooga
You can tell just from the trailer that it's highly derivative and more than a little campy. They totally stole the visual and rhetorical tone from the most recent Batman franchise and the avenging father with the wife and kid scenario seems not only melodramatic but corny. And then there is the magic, which while not necessarily as silly as shooting lazer beams from ones eyes or controlling the weather, is more than a little passe. But that is nitpicking.

I hope it goes down in flames, and maybe, just freaking maybe, the networks will replace it with something that isn't a crass attempt to capitalize on what is currently popular in a lowest common denominator form. Maybe we can get a series that's good because it has well written characters and a smartly laid-out plot that is devoid of soap operaness and tired conventions.

God I miss David Milch.

I am hoping for another vampire show.

Duff_Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BC2012
I am hoping for another vampire show.

omg i wunder if they got my emales abut macking twilight a tv
bounce2.gif

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OMG, the best line ever from this show:

"Say Hello to Dorothy *****!"

I nearly died laughing at that part.

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
Everything I've read says it's one of the worst new shows in a while. Like....laughably bad.

What are you reading, The Cynics Tribune?

Most of the mainstream reviews give it decent marks.

BC2012

Reaction score
OMG, the best line ever from this show:

"Say Hello to Dorothy *****!"

I nearly died laughing at that part.

I guess it needs to be seen in context, because that doesn't sound funny, at all. Especially if "Dorothy" is either: a) a weapon of some kind or b) a female character named Dorothy.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are you reading, The Cynics Tribune?

Most of the mainstream reviews give it decent marks.

the avclub and a few other places

http://www.avclub.com/articles/pilottarot,49783/

The Cape is awful. It just might be the worst TV series you see all year, and the year is only nine days old. It's bad enough that you can watch it, proclaim it that, then feel fairly confident in saying so, even with the other 356 days to go. And yet something about it is so watchably terrible that I can't wholly pan it. I can see why some critics I really respect kind of liked it, almost in spite of themselves. Somewhere, buried deep within itself where it's almost afraid to even admit it exists, The Cape rather knows that it's this bad, and it's having fun with the fact that it exists and made it to network television at all. We're adding it to the TV Club roster not because it's terribly promising or because it's good right out of the box or anything like that. We're adding it because making fun of this show could become a new national nerd pastime.

Wackadoodle

Reaction score
The AV Club got it pretty right, I missed the first hour, but the second seemed pretty similar. It's a stupid show, but also an enjoyably watchable one. Its like a Silver Age comic book brought into the 21st century, its overwrought and melodramatic and the characters are archetypes with the depth of a piece of cardboard but I didn't hate myself while watching it. I don't know if it will ever find a audience, but I'll tune into it until it gets cancelled.

darnelled

Reaction score
I watched it last night since we are between seasons of most shows. It wasn't nearly as bad as reviewed, but I doubt it will be added to my season pass on Tivo. It really had potential with a good cast, but just got silly at times when trying to be serious.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads