• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Black Keys

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I almost never listen to new music but I discovered The Black Keys last night and am really enjoying their newest album. In the same retro-hip spirit as Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings, they play a sort of funk/rock hybrid with the guitar distortion and bass turned way up. Great videos, too. Give them a listen.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been listening to the new album for about a week. There are a couple of songs that I find cool but the reset is kind of boring.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been into them before they got 'big'. Unfourtanetly I don't like the fact that they are getting so commercial.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
That isn't the video for 'Tighten up'.
Originally Posted by Jokerman
I have been into them before they got 'big'. Unfourtanetly I don't like the fact that they are getting so commercial.
I have never understood this logic. If you are a fan of a band you want the band to be successful, success in music typically involves becoming commercial. Do you feel their sound has changed, or is it simply the fact that they are more of presence in the media, etc? I am only familiar with what i've heard on NPR and 'Brothers', I plan to see them live this summer here in Omaha. If you enjoy their stuff, Dan Auerbach's solo album 'keep it hid' is also something you should look into.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
I have never understood this logic. If you are a fan of a band you want the band to be successful, success in music typically involves becoming commercial. \\
unfortunately, in this day and age, that usually leads to massive overexposure and repetitive beating into the head (yes, i know it's always kind of been like that but there are soooooo many different angles we get hit with now). funnily enough, i just rolled my eyes tonight when "i got mine" was jamming in the A-Team movie. i can't seem to go anywhere without hearing them now. i'm pretty sure i heard them on the NBA finals last night, too. i like them, but i fear i'm already starting to tire of the scratchy-vocal heavy-ass reverb sound. great band - narrow scope. no problem with them being successful, though they are starting to become the new indie darlings.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the next time you're around a piano/keyboard, trying playing a little, using only the black keys. i think its one of the f# scales, and no matter what you play it ends up sounding japanese.
teacha.gif

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ye olde pentatonic scale. fun to sit down with other people and just rock out because there are no wrong notes.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw them in concert last Wednesday. They put on a really, really good live show.

cotton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
I plan to see them live this summer here in Omaha.

Bring earplugs.

As for bands getting big/going commercial? At the very least, they play larger, less intimate venues, and tickets prices go up.

In May 2008 I saw The Black Keys at a popular but relatively small music club in Washington DC. Their DC date this summer is at a much larger auditorium. In 2008 I paid $25 face value and had I wanted could have stood feet from the stage. The cheapest tickets left for their show this July, in the nosebleeds, are $33.50 face value.

So you probably won't need earplugs after all.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll cosign the earplug advice. They're one of the loudest bands I've seen in quite awhile.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Been listening to the new album for about a week. There are a couple of songs that I find cool but the reset is kind of boring.

That's been my complain on every one of their albums. The licks on many of their songs get repetitive, and singer guy doesn't have any kind of vocal chops to keep my interest.

New album is a little too polished and produced for my taste in this kind of music... You can practicly hear the metronome track in listening to those songs.

10AM automatic is the Black Keys' best

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I kinda liked BlakRoc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads