• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The best pair of jeans you have ever worn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitedNBooted
Judging by the pic I would suggest D&G. I have a pair and they're really very sexy, especially with dress shoes and a sports jacket.

which D&G jeans?

Reaction score
A lot of people are giving me brands or designers without providing a SPECIFIC jean....can you please give me a SPECIFIC jean?....thanks to all of those who have
smile.gif

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
We can't give you a SPECIFIC jean without knowing his body type. Some jeans will look ridiculous on your friend given his build.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Levi's 527 low-rise.
2. J.P. Damage
3. 7 for all mankind
4. AG stretch cords.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure why you didn't post this in the "Need a jean" thread in Streetwear and Denim. You would get much better answers there. Would you ask about canvassing or goodyear welting in the denim section? A lot of the answers here are either about 4-9 years behind the curve, or just show that the poster is not really interested in denim. The best idea, if you are in LA or NYC, is to get him a gift certificate, but barring that...

From the picture that you posted of him, I'd say that he can wear most jeans well. He seems to be in decent shape, and have slim hips. Again, from that picture, I'd say that you would want something medium low rise, and probably reasonably slim.

Right now, I really like the Wings+Horns narrow fit jeans, which are available at Farinelli's, Blackbird, and probably Roden Gray. They have a very unique, low pocket, silvertoned, minimalist hardware, and black pocket patch. These are pretty slim, however, and have a low rise (washed) and slightly higher rise (raw). If you get him the washed version, you will need to size up one from his usual size.

Nom de Guerre, either the narrow fits or classic fits, are another good choice. Brigade, Context, Stel's all carry them, as does pretty much every Nom de Guerre. Nice black toned hardware. Be sure to size up though, if your friend is between sizes. These jeans are sized unmercifully, and only in even sizes S=30, M=32, etc...

Somet straight fits are another good bet. I've found the sizing on them to be inconsistent sometimes, so be sure to ask the guys at Context or at Blue in Green (NYC) about the current batch.

It is hard to go wrong with RRL slim fits, which are probably the best. If he likes a slightly baggier look (like in the picture) get him his usual size. Otherwise, you will need to size down one. Some people like Jean Shop more, but I think that the bright orange stitching on the Jeanshops make them much more difficult to match with things than the yellow/brown/orange mix of stitching on the RRLs. And RRLs are cheaper at retail and a better buy (they actually wholesale about the same - it's a longish story.) If you are going with Jeanshop, size down 2. They are extremely vanity sized (put it this way, at a 31.5" waist, I am not that skinny, and I wear an XS in their belts, on the last or second to last hole.)

Finally, the Kicking Mule Workshop 1950 has a reasonably, medium low rise, are "regular" fit, and have a unobtrusive taper. The finishing is very polished, the hardware is nice, and there are some nice details, like the red mule embroidered between the top two buttons of the fly.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Not sure why you didn't post this in the "Need a jean" thread in Streetwear and Denim. You would get much better answers there. Would you ask about canvassing or goodyear welting in the denim section? A lot of the answers here are either about 4-9 years behind the curve, or just show that the poster is not really interested in denim. The best idea, if you are in LA or NYC, is to get him a gift certificate, but barring that... From the picture that you posted of him, I'd say that he can wear most jeans well. He seems to be in decent shape, and have slim hips. Again, from that picture, I'd say that you would want something medium low rise, and probably reasonably slim. Right now, I really like the Wings+Horns narrow fit jeans, which are available at Farinelli's, Blackbird, and probably Roden Gray. They have a very unique, low pocket, silvertoned, minimalist hardware, and black pocket patch. These are pretty slim, however, and have a low rise (washed) and slightly higher rise (raw). If you get him the washed version, you will need to size up one from his usual size. Nom de Guerre, either the narrow fits or classic fits, are another good choice. Brigade, Context, Stel's all carry them, as does pretty much every Nom de Guerre. Nice black toned hardware. Be sure to size up though, if your friend is between sizes. These jeans are sized unmercifully, and only in even sizes S=30, M=32, etc... Somet straight fits are another good bet. I've found the sizing on them to be inconsistent sometimes, so be sure to ask the guys at Context or at Blue in Green (NYC) about the current batch. It is hard to go wrong with RRL slim fits, which are probably the best. If he likes a slightly baggier look (like in the picture) get him his usual size. Otherwise, you will need to size down one. Some people like Jean Shop more, but I think that the bright orange stitching on the Jeanshops make them much more difficult to match with things than the yellow/brown/orange mix of stitching on the RRLs. And RRLs are cheaper at retail and a better buy (they actually wholesale about the same - it's a longish story.) If you are going with Jeanshop, size down 2. They are extremely vanity sized (put it this way, at a 31.5" waist, I am not that skinny, and I wear an XS in their belts, on the last or second to last hole.) Finally, the Kicking Mule Workshop 1950 has a reasonably, medium low rise, are "regular" fit, and have a unobtrusive taper. The finishing is very polished, the hardware is nice, and there are some nice details, like the red mule embroidered between the top two buttons of the fly.
The vanity sizing at The Jean Shop is basically the same as DH and NS/NC ~_~;; I also feel like gift certificates are real cop-outs when getting a gift for someone close to you. Honestly, if this guy was a jean enthusiast, I'd tell her to take him to BiG and let him have a field day, but as this poster mentioned, the guy doesn't like jeans. If he really wants a good pair of jeans, she should get him some Japanese selvedge from Self Edge or BiG. edit: I missed the picture. From his build, I'd say go with DH 19cm MIJs. Size 2 down from his true waist (true 30 = DH 28). I also have a pair of Alexander McQueen skinny jeans which are surprisingly comfortable. The stretch denim is really nice, but I wish the crotch rise wasn't so high. It feels like it'll ride up my balls any minute when I'm walking sometimes.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andyliu52
dior 19cm obviously

Where can you get Dior jeans?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rock & Republics.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Won't bother quoting LA Guy's post again, but I agree with all it (especially the opening, as someone else upstream also suggested, to just consider a gc to a decent store).

And it was a reminder to self to also look for a pair of 1950's. My 1980's are currently my favorite jean in rotation.

SuitedNBooted

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fashionxisxbreathing
which D&G jeans?
Sorry: the Power cut. It's probably the safest cut for a gift. On the label they say fit=tight / rise=regular / hips=tight / legs=straight / bottom=regular. However the rise is in fact *really* low, as with all Dolce jeans, but a bit higher at the back so I guess that's why they call it regular rise. It gives a really nice, shaped behind (the saleswoman practically ordered me to buy it). As for the size, he should be able to button it, but only just. Whatever you buy him though, it's a good thing if he can at least get a different size. Otherwise I agree with a previous post, he is a good candidate for Dior Homme.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
It is hard to go wrong with RRL slim fits, which are probably the best. If he likes a slightly baggier look (like in the picture) get him his usual size. Otherwise, you will need to size down one. Some
+100 on this. The guys on SW&D talked me into getting these and, man, were they right. I'm 52 and relatively slim. These are the best jeans I've worn since classic Levis in the 70s, 100 times better than the Levi 501s you get now which wear out in less than a year. The RRLs are unbelievably soft and comfortable. I also agree with the sizing recommendation. Search for a thread called Denim 101 for MC on this forum. It is jeans advice for non-jeans guys, just what you are looking for, I believe.

Cordovanman

Reaction score
Try Elie Tahari, yes I said Elie Tahari; their Men's Jeans fit incredibly well and are amazingly comfortable.

Cordovanman

acconrad

Reaction score
I had a pair of Levi's Red (with the red stitching on the inside of the back of the jeans and a warped leather label on the back) Slim Straights that were amazing. They don't make them anymore and I want to cry...if I could, I would buy 5 of each color and hold onto them forever.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads