• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
None. I only have ready-to-wear and made-to-order shoes, mostly John Lobb and Gaziano & Girling. Currently awaiting a pair of loafers made by Perticone Bespoke, but they are actually made-to-measure, that is an existing last was used with small modifications.

I post pictures of shoes I find worth to be seen.
Once you go bespoke, there's no going back to RtW or MTO.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once you go bespoke, there's no going back to RtW or MTO.

On one hand I can figure it would be an exciting experience and the result should be a great product with a perfect fit, on the other one I've read of less than optimal processes and final products with issues. And yes, time and cost also play a role of course.

If you have rather regular feet and have found that some lasts work well for you, the need and the wish to go bespoke would weaken.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably not something I would commission, but these chukka boots in hippopotamus leather with Norwegian welt look quite amazing. Philippe Atienza.

Screenshot (1806).png
Screenshot (1807).png

jazznpool

Reaction score
I’m looking for the shoemaking version of Sam’s tailor.
For bespoke shoes, meeting in person is a must. Shoemakers who travel to where you are facilitate the process. I’m not likely to try anyone outside of the English based makers for this reason, even if their pricing appeals.

In another week I will try on fitting shoes from Canons—which, to my surprise, are my actual burgundy monk strap uppers with a cork or similar temporary sole. The fit can still be adjusted to some extent. This method was news to me as I thought fitting shoes were always disposable and only made to assess the fit. I will say I am enjoying the process with Canons so far. Excellent communication with Simon Bolzoni and his team. I will visit their workshop and have another fitting this summer. If all goes well I would presume finished shoes could be ready to ship by the end of the year at most.

I’m still trying to understand how the most iconic maker, JLL, can go straight to a finished shoe without a fitting beforehand. At that point there’s not much adjustment.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For bespoke shoes, meeting in person is a must. Shoemakers who travel to where you are facilitate the process. I’m not likely to try anyone outside of the English based makers for this reason, even if their pricing appeals.

In another week I will try on fitting shoes from Canons—which, to my surprise, are my actual burgundy monk strap uppers with a cork or similar temporary sole. The fit can still be adjusted to some extent. This method was news to me as I thought fitting shoes were always disposable and only made to assess the fit. I will say I am enjoying the process with Canons so far. Excellent communication with Simon Bolzoni and his team. I will visit their workshop and have another fitting this summer. If all goes well I would presume finished shoes could be ready to ship by the end of the year at most.

I’m still trying to understand how the most iconic maker, JLL, can go straight to a finished shoe without a fitting beforehand. At that point there’s not much adjustment.
Oh that was a joke: someone said they wanted a bespoke shoemaker in Bangkok. So I was joking about the region & sams “tailor”

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodhpur