• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tamago

Reaction score
It seems there is few info on Okuyama Masaru here.
Lucky enough living in Hong Kong, and finally had my chance moving one step forward to bespoke shoes.
I am having my first shoes with Masaru, currently I am waiting for my last to be built and test fit. Targeted some time in Mar. :)

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain and you have my sympathies. I had also bad luck or experience with bespoke makers. My advice to people is to avoid bespoke. If you decide to commission bespoke only do it if you can try on the final product before paying the remaining balance money. Once you pay you have little or no recourse.
Doing remotely bespoke is asking for a trouble.

My advice would be to everyone who are interested in it or need it, and who have the possibility, to definitely try bespoke. Nothing has given me the same enjoyable experiences and superb products, and then I have or have had shoes from many of the most renowned RTW makers in the world, both Goodyear welted and hand welted. I would say that there are hundreds of thousands of others around the world who would agree on that. And to note, I've also had bad experiences with bespoke deliveries which was paid, but had no problems at all to sort those out. That is what is the rule, not the exception.

Of course there's both bad bespoke makers and bad experiences out there, but if that would be the rule then this industry would have surely been dead a long time ago. There's ****** experiences with shirts, cars, shampoos, nail polish, meat, postal services and so on and so on, that doesn't mean one should avoid all of that. And by all means, research and find makers with good reputation and which suits your preferences, and it's always better to meet the maker upon delivery, especially on the first pair, but if it's not a possibility I wouldn't be scared off by that.

Sad to hear you've had bad experiences, but to translate that to a general advice like that is simply way off in my mind.

Last edited:

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My advice would be to everyone who are interested in it or need it to definitely try bespoke. Nothing has given me the same enjoyable experiences and superb products, and then I have or have had shoes from many of the most renowned RTW makers in the world, both Goodyear welted and hand welted.

Perhaps. I should have said. My advice to people is to avoid bespoke. unless they can try on the finished product before paying the remaining balance. You decide to selectively quote from my post and took things out of the contest

Sad to hear you've had bad experiences, but to translate that to a general advice like that is simply way off in my mind. And to note, I've also had bad experiences with a bespoke delivery, which was paid, but had no problems at all to sort those out. That is what is the rule, not the exception.
People just need to ask @shackletonian how easy is to sort things out.

I would say that there is hundreds of thousands of others around the world who would agree on that.
I have doubts about his statement.

Last edited:

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps. I should have said. My advice is to My advice to people is to avoid bespoke. unless they can try on the finished product before paying the remaining balance. You decide to selectively quote from my post and took things out of the contest

People just need to ask @shackletonian how easy is to sort things out.

I have doubts about his statement.

Sorry, but what you write there is not the same thing as you wrote before: "My advice to people is to avoid bespoke. If you decide to commission bespoke only do it if you can try on the final product before paying the remaining balance money."
Has nothing to do with taking it out of context. If you didn't write what you meant, that's a different thing.

I think you might need to read what I wrote again. I didn't take anything away from your experience or from Shackleton's experience (who I've replied several times on "condoleancing" what he's been up with), what I wrote is that those are exceptions, not the rule, in the grand scheme of things.

I think you underestimate the amount of bespoke shoes being made yearly around the world, and who then have been made year after year. I would feel safe to say that at least 0,000026% of the population of 7,7 billion on this earth have had a pair of bespoke shoes that they've been pleased with. Either way, I would assume you would get my point, despite amount used.

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but what you write there is not the same thing as you wrote before: "My advice to people is to avoid bespoke. If you decide to commission bespoke only do it if you can try on the final product before paying the remaining balance money."
Has nothing to do with taking it out of context. If you didn't write what you meant, that's a different thing.
Again you are selectively quoting my statement. "Perhaps, I should have said"
I think it's best not to argue anymore and let people make their own informed decisions.
Two very fine shoe bespoke makers have discouraged their customers from buying bespoke shoes. Those makers are Antonio Meccariello and Hiro Yanagimachi

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a reason to spell it Cleverly instead of Cleverley? I feel I see this misspell (?) quite often (English isn't my mother tongue, sorry if it's a common language thing...)
In American spelling, it's not very common to have an "ley" at the end of words. Ending in "ly" is more common in America. I'm not sure about the Queen's English that the rest of the world uses.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads