1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Berluti shoe thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by A Harris, Sep 3, 2006.

1. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

To be fair, the Berluti site used to say that some of their RTW was Goodyear, Africa, Ferrarese or Bentivegna (?) welted.
    Is an Africa welt one with diamonds and pearls like that Idi Amin wannabe had made up for his inauguration?

2. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Is an Africa welt one with diamonds and pearls like that Idi Amin wannabe had made up for his inauguration?

Damned cheek. You must be thinking of the little-used Farnese welt.

3. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

I've personally (with my own eyes) seen her get very involved with the measurement of customer's feet.

This is the simplest part in the whole shoemaking process, so what... Each to his own.

By the way, as soon as I thought the culture of communication has reached a certain level where "we" all can live together in peace. The AE's, Alden's, Sutor's, Lattanzi's, Cleverley's, Foster's, Lobb's, Vass', Materna's etc. etc...

A bashing arised in a immature manner which is really ashaming.

Just my two cents.

4. itsstillmatt

This is the simplest part in the whole shoemaking process, so what... Each to his own.

By the way, as soon as I thought the culture of communication has reached a certain level where "we" all can live together in peace. The AE's, Alden's, Sutor's, Lattanzi's, Cleverley's, Foster's, Lobb's, Vass', Materna's etc. etc...

A bashing arised in a immature manner which is really ashaming.

Just my two cents.

I can live with your list Fritz. It is the (warning immature bashing) ugly ass, pimpy prancer shoes like Berluti and Santoni with which I have problems.

5. stilmacher

stilmacher Senior member

Artisan, I owned 7 pairs and sold plenty more. I have been to the stores in London, Paris and NY. They may have had some goodyear RTW shoes once upon a time but not today, not in their RTW collection.
    As for Mrs Berluti and her talents: I am happy for her that people believe in her.

6. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm enjoying this thread so much I'm going to award it a Clapping Marcello:

[​IMG]

7. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Artisan, I owned 7 pairs and sold plenty more. I have been to the stores in London, Paris and NY. They may have had some goodyear RTW shoes once upon a time but not today, not in their RTW collection.
    As for Mrs Berluti and her talents: I am happy for her that people believe in her.

Shouldn't the rubber-soled Berluti Sport shoes (Tibeta, Ultima) be Goodyear welted?

8. stilmacher

stilmacher Senior member

You got me on that one. I couldn't say for sure. I still have a pair at home and I will check but I don't really think they are...

9. Sator

Sator Senior member

I can live with your list Fritz. It is the (warning immature bashing) ugly ass, pimpy prancer shoes like Berluti and Santoni with which I have problems.

Once again I find myself agreeing completely with Matt. However, I would feel a lot more positive about Berluti and Santoni if they would come clean and price themselves around the AE to Alden range - which is more or less what they are worth. Unfortunately, the marketeers have discovered that if you price something high enough you will always get some poor souls who will be convinced that it has something to do with quality.

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Napoleon wannabe.

11. stilmacher

stilmacher Senior member

I checked my Ultimas and they seem to be blake. As for the design, no one can tell me that these: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] are not beautiful shoes!

12. Omegablogger

Omegablogger Senior member

>are not beautiful shoes!

They are not, imho.

13. stilmacher

stilmacher Senior member

14. Omegablogger

Omegablogger Senior member

Don't be boring...

Hey, I've got some Jeffrey West's [​IMG]

15. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

As for the design, no one can tell me that these:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    are not beautiful shoes!

I can and I do. Your mileage definitely varies.

16. bryce330

bryce330 Senior member

In effect I think there are better, more exclusive and more stylish shoe-makers around (Corthay, Aubercy...) who make an equally exciting product in terms of design, with much better quality and at the same price-level.
    I will post some pictures later on today.

I haven't seen enough Corthay or Aubercy shoes to know whether or not I agree with this, but I certainly think this is the correct comparison. People who compare Berluti to C&J or Vass or Allen freaking Edmonds are missing the point - they are a completely different shoe aimed at a completely different audience.

17. stilmacher

stilmacher Senior member

I haven't seen enough Corthay or Aubercy shoes to know whether or not I agree with this, but I certainly think this is the correct comparison. People who compare Berluti to C&J or Vass or Allen freaking Edmonds are missing the point - they are a completely different shoe aimed at a completely different audience.

Wise words. Here are some Corthays to illustrate the point:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

19. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

WOW, nice polish job and pictures

20. itsstillmatt

I am feeling neither the Corthays nor the Berlutis.