Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Avengers (05.04.2012)

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by willy cheesesteak, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    I have no desire to see it in 3D.

2. Imhoff

Imhoff Senior member

Exactly. I want to see it at the IMAX, but no 3d please. Saw Thor in non-3d, it was good. Saw Captain America in 3d, did not like so much. Just recently rewatched Capt in non-3d, so much better.

3. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Yeah I promised myself that I'll only watch 3D films that were actually shot/made in 3D like Avatar and Toy Story 3.

Have you guys heard of Peter Jackson shooting the Hobbit in 48 frames per second? I heard it's like watching film in 120hz/240hz on your tv. Most are complaining that it seems too real and doesn't feel like a movie. I'm personally curious how it would look in theaters. I love it on my television and once I got used to it, I odn't even notice it much. This will probably be the next new experience in movie theaters though.

4. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

Just the evolution of film. Remember vhs?

5. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

When I see the occasional sports game on those big SuperHyperMegaHD TVs at Costco or wherever, images that sharp still blow my mind. A move bred that way would be incredible.

6. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

It's not live TV/sports that's the problem, it's movies with special effects/elaborate sets that really throws things off. The resolution is so clear that costumes/sets/makeup/CGI/basically everything that makes a fictional movie "believable" looks about as real as a high school production of that movie.

It's very jarring.

7. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Senior member

^This. Hate the soap opera effect.

8. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

That was exactly the complaint but I do like it on my television and honestly, I cannot see myself going back. Like I said, once you get used to it, you barely notice it at all even going back and forth to different television sets.

I'm just not sure how I'd feel about it being 50 feet in front of me so I certainly am looking forward to the experience.

But yeah, the main complaints have been the props looking like toys on the big screen and has less of a cinematic film.

9. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

Am weighing going to an IMAX at midnight vs plane departure time for SF X

10. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

It's just a really odd choice given the subject matter. Tolkein is written for nostalgic sepia tones, for a kind of blurry reminiscence of better times that are half-made up because they're only half-remembered and the able teller is filling in the blanks. I don't want it to aim for realism. I'd be interested to see it on like a Mission Impossible movie (was going to say a Bond film but that totally would be soap opera style) but not the Hobbit.

11. Jr Mouse

There will be 24fps & 48fps screenings. Much like 3D, you don't have to watch it at 48fps if you don't want to.

EDIT: I'm keeping an open mind on this. He did a good job with the LOTR films, so hopefully he knows what he is doing here.

Last edited: May 1, 2012

12. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

Well to be fair, he fucked up Two Towers pretty hard. I mean that film was so messed up that they couldn't even get the question of "hey which two towers are we talking about" right.

13. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

That's a good point. It would probably look best on action films but I'd still check it out just to see how it is. It'll be an interesting experience to say the least.

14. Jr Mouse

I really liked Two Towers. More so then the first.

15. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I only liked the second half of Two Towers but I enjoyed the first film as a whole.