• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoff928

Reaction score
More pictures from the backlog.

Loden Higgins on what may have been a cloudy day.
PXL_20231006_163835391.jpg

Love these spectator Macs. I purchased a pair of unfinished grey/white seersucker BB pants to go with these, I just need to get them hemmed before spring.
PXL_20231017_182007191.jpg

PXL_20231017_182012463.jpg

A young lady who worked at one of my client's offices said these Landons were “fire.”
PXL_20231016_222331669.jpg

PXL_20231016_222334849.jpg

Antique hickory Strands.
PXL_20231023_224652227.jpg

Basketball grain Naismiths to go out and watch the Boston Celtics with friends.
PXL_20231030_182751923.jpg

PXL_20231030_182758209.jpg

Woolymoks with wool pants.
PXL_20231030_204502207.jpg

PXL_20231030_204514685.jpg

I would love more merlot colored shoes in my closet.
PXL_20231030_202153268.jpg

PXL_20231030_202148687.jpg

Love the Football grain Promontory Points. Wish I had not sold mine a couple of years ago, but just didn't fit "right"
Thank you! It has taken a long time to hunt down the seven football grain shoes/boots I own and there is no way I could ever give any of them up. Still on the hunt for the super elusive Brooks Brothers football grain Dundee.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While the Normandy doesn't get heavy play in my usual rotation, it does get regular wears. Every year, I try to make sure I break them out on both Memorial Day and Veterans Day. Wasn't sure the protocol for this year's Veterans Day, and figured I'd wear them on the substitute day, since it looks like I'll be in the actual work boots tomorrow for garage time.

The Normandy is a nice boot, but with weird limitations. It's unlined, so it's really a spring and/or fall kind of boot that's too warm for summer and too cold for winter. Lugs on the heel, but not the sole, means you're not really taking them off of a regular path for anything. And, the toe caps on these dent just by looking at them funny, so it's not like they can handle even a minimal beating.

Still kudu is awesome, and I really like them a lot, even with all their limitations.

View attachment 2066659
Do those fit you true to size? I find a lot of the newer boot lasts to be too much volume for me. I’ve considered going down a half size on the Normandy.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do those fit you true to size? I find a lot of the newer boot lasts to be too much volume for me. I’ve considered going down a half size on the Normandy.

The Normandy boots definitely run big. I usually wear 11.5D in most AEs, and these Normandy boots are that size, but I feel like I definitely could have dropped down to an 11D for these. Heel fit is good, instep is fairly roomy, but the toe box is absolutely cavernous.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While the Normandy doesn't get heavy play in my usual rotation, it does get regular wears. Every year, I try to make sure I break them out on both Memorial Day and Veterans Day. Wasn't sure the protocol for this year's Veterans Day, and figured I'd wear them on the substitute day, since it looks like I'll be in the actual work boots tomorrow for garage time.

The Normandy is a nice boot, but with weird limitations. It's unlined, so it's really a spring and/or fall kind of boot that's too warm for summer and too cold for winter. Lugs on the heel, but not the sole, means you're not really taking them off of a regular path for anything. And, the toe caps on these dent just by looking at them funny, so it's not like they can handle even a minimal beating.

Still kudu is awesome, and I really like them a lot, even with all their limitations.

View attachment 2066659

Great reminder to pull out my Normandy this weekend. For all the reasons you stated, I've always felt the Normandy was an odd makeup. Near the tail end of the MTO era, I ordered a pair with the yellow lug sole. Can you guess what arrived? Yup, the squishy lug. If I recall, I kept them at seconds pricing. Unfortunately the squish of that lug just doesn't work for me.

I would say to drop down a 1/2 in length. The fit is pretty relaxed. You may even need insoles if volume is a concern. In fact, I was in an AE store when the Normandy was first released and overheard the SM telling another customer that people usually buy them a half or one full size less than normal. This was clearly a regular customer, so I'm guessing normal meant from AE sizing and not sneaker or brannock.

pbrandes

Reaction score
For UV snell I preferred a black welt to the mandatory natural, which left only one option. I realize I'm stepping over a line here, but the sole wants what the sole wants...

IMG_6309.jpg

Besides, I doubt I'd pair this color with anything dressier than jeans or chinos...

IMG_6308.jpg

I think they're sufficiently shoe-ish to avoid too much purist anguish; it's only when viewed from the side that they look sneaky...

IMG_6307.jpg

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For UV snell I preferred a black welt to the mandatory natural, which left only one option. I realize I'm stepping over a line here, but the sole wants what the sole wants...

View attachment 2067157

Besides, I doubt I'd pair this color with anything dressier than jeans or chinos...

View attachment 2067159

I think they're sufficiently shoe-ish to avoid too much purist anguish; it's only when viewed from the side that they look sneaky...

View attachment 2067161
I have to admit….i was a little concerned that this combo wouldn’t be so great, but it looks terrific!

Radboots

Reaction score
Jealous of all the new trunk show stuff in here - but I gotta admit - I'm surprised so many chose the Freeport sole! That is by far my least favorite thing about my pair (of course, the accursed tongue is 2) and keeps me from wearing them as much as I otherwise would.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 2067157

View attachment 2067159

View attachment 2067161
Could have just dyed the welt and sole black. I just don’t find the sneakers comfortable enough to pay $700 for.

Great color though!

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Could have just dyed the welt and sole black. I just don’t find the sneakers comfortable enough to pay $700 for.

Great color though!
Same here. I got a PA sneaker that just doesn’t quite fit. It got sent to Mexico to live a different life.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE suddenly has my interest again. I am going to wait and see if they release a Higgins in this leather, because I would like that more. However, this is nice to see. Bravo.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE suddenly has my interest again. I am going to wait and see if they release a Higgins in this leather, because I would like that more. However, this is nice to see. Bravo.

Glad to hear! If only it were a short wing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prxtzt