• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terrence Malick's The Tree of Life

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that's very interesting that you somehow interpreted sean penn as the boy who died. however there is fairly clear dialogue between penn and the father about the dead brother, being that the jumping off point for the film seems to be Jack/Penn reminiscing and pondering the nature of life and his experience/feelings/memories particularly with regard to his family on the anniversary of his brother's death.

Costanza

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington
It doesn't surprise me that a lot of people are walking out of what is essentially an experimental/art house film that has piqued popular interest due to its big name stars and success at Cannes. I can name a number of films, many of which are terrific, that would probably be more difficult to sit through for the average filmgoer than "The Tree of Life". The bigger story for me isn't Malick's failure to capture the attention of an audience his film wasn't targeted for but rather the failure of his film to actually be what it was intended to be.

We sat through the whole thing, but were bored. I didn't find it experimental at all, just pop-science pompous. There might have been a film in there, but the juxtaposition of the microcosmic narrative parts with the endless macrocosmic life-of-the-universe could have been done with more economy or left on the floor. It didn't add to the film at all.

The interesting parts for me were the human/moral parts, and my field laptop background sums up the rest succintly:

606px-Geologic_clock.jpg

Costanza

Reaction score
oh yeah, and the CGI dinosaurs made us giggle.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I saw it June 24,I was one of 3 people in the theater when it was over. So many people got up and left. When I left the theater the couple who sat the movie out asked for a refund.

I don't think the vast majority of people who will see it in the upcoming weeks will 'get it'. It is incredibly ambitious, visually appealing, but could have been executed differently. I will see it again, and honestly I hope it cleans up at awards. It deserved the Palm d' Or, and anything else it receives considering the utter swill that's been released recently.
Funny you mention that, since Sean Penn didn't 'get it' either:
I didn’t at all find on the screen the emotion of the script, which is the most magnificent one that I’ve ever read. A clearer and more conventional narrative would have helped the film without, in my opinion, lessening its beauty and its impact. Frankly, I’m still trying to figure out what I’m doing there and what I was supposed to add in that context! What’s more, Terry himself never managed to explain it to me clearly.
I finally got around to seeing the film and did not like it. I felt it was trying way too hard to be a cross between 2001 and Fantasia without getting anywhere close. While the cinematography was stunning, nor the script, the narrative, or concepts were at the level of the cinematography. I am a big fan of utilizing non-CGI effects, such as in The Fountain, but at least the The Fountain, which was not a 'good' film had a contextual vision which The Tree of Life is lacking. There are other aspects that I found laughable, such as showing the 4.6 billion years of the forming of the earth, dawn of life, dinosaurs with empathy (when is the last time you saw a bird with empathy?), and then suddenly making everything about god a-la Intelligent Design. Also, the beach 'heaven' scene only helps to solidify the utter nonsense that is the concept of heaven.

Last edited:

Lighthouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw the movie on DVD. Made sense to me because I was not trying to "interpret" it. I enjoy movies like this and will see Melancholia tomorrow. I assumed the younger brother died in Viet Nam, and the scene with the bb gun in the woods reinforced that assumption.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads