• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ten best jeans

Brian SD

Reaction score
I don't like the D'amage Ice jeans so much either, because the color is just kind of weird and the streaks crossing into the realm of "rediculous."
I like the Ice. I think that you are probably talking about the City, which is a really streaky jean.
Ahh yea, youre right it is the city that I'm thinking of, not the Ice.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
speaking of obnoxious washes and distressing, the Corleone jeans are pretty much over the top.
Anyway, interesting you mention the "prumice stone" because it's what I have used to hand-finish my freshly cut jeans hems...
Denim is such a fascinating world. Too bad I don't have the opportunity to wear them as often as their diversity would permit.

.Luc

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

lisapop

Reaction score
I love my Levis but on the opposite end of the spectrum, I've been eye-balling the ultra-refined jeans sold by Davide Cenci, which look great combined with a pair of suede JP Tod boots.
Grayson

joviides

Reaction score
I guess I knew the right question to ask on the T the other night, and while I miss seeing Rag & Bone in the top 10, I agree w/ your commentary on APC and the positive comment re: Issey Miyake denim from a subsequent post.  Edwin, too, gets my vote -- for the denim quality more than for their fit.

Charles Rogers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy,Mar. 14 2005,12:34
I don't like the D'amage Ice jeans so much either, because the color is just kind of weird and the streaks crossing into the realm of "rediculous."
I like the Ice. I think that you are probably talking about the City, which is a really streaky jean.

Ahh yea, youre right it is the city that I'm thinking of, not the Ice.
I'm wearing my ice's right now. Absoutly love them.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I do like the streaky wash of the 'City' JP Da'mages, even though they are a bit artificial. Very nice quality denim and wash, IMO. It's one of those jeans that can make a more artificial wash look decent.

Sevcom

Reaction score
Two quick asides:

1) The Da'mage Web site is more than a little silly.
2) Going off Paper Denim's site, the new washes for the jeans look fairly uninteresting to me. I'm not a big fan of the Marlowe in person, although it does look good online. And I guess the Ransom, which I've seen IRL, is a more sophisticated take on the Diesel 796 wash. But nothing else seems particularly must-have.

BTW, are they phasing out the GTO in favor of the BMX? If so, that'd be a travesty--the BMX is cut even less slim and made from inferior cotton.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1) The new Paper Denims are not up to snuff, especially given the cool stuff from before.

2) Forget urban evolution. Go to style.com. You can buy Yoko Devereaux spring outerwear (a cotton fleece hoodie sportjacket or just plain sortjacket) directly from YD.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Thread...must..not...die. I heard that Paul Smith selvage jeans a la here are very nice. Also, Varvatos makes a really nice black/yellow selvage edge on a solid straight-leg jean. I'd also like to add that 5EP jeans kick major ass, and I am lusting after a pair that I will probably buy in a couple months when my Nudies have been washed. They're $300, overpriced but worth it. The back pocket stitching is dyed in indigo, so you can't see it when you first buy the jeans but as you ride your horse or whatever or get in fights and wear in the butt, the logo begins to slowly become visible. The cut is slim (slimmer than Nudie RRs), the rise is lower than 501s but not super low, the denim is 13.5oz. A pair of Denime jeans (XX type, basically a copy of 501XX, I think maybe theyre designed after the 37s of 55s but Im not positive) is available on Aero for only 60 GBP - amazing deal. They are at least 14oz, maybe more. They shrink 8-10% after the first wash, as they are not sanforized. www.aeroleatherclothing.com LA Guy, I know I said that RRs are slimmer than GTO and LTD, but I just realized that I have a very bad comparison. My GTOs and LTDs are too big (31 and 30, respectively). My RRs are 29 and are the slimmest between the three. I don't have any GTOs in 29 so I am probably off a bit.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I picked up a pair of the Denime Riders from Aero for 60 GBP. I'm wearing them right now - they're awesome. Denim is probably about 14 oz and the cut is perfect. Mediium rise, neither slim nor baggy, with the subtlest hint of a bootcut. Lots of other nice details too, including lined rear pockets.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I picked up a pair of the Denime Riders from Aero for 60 GBP. I'm wearing them right now - they're awesome. Denim is probably about 14 oz and the cut is perfect. Mediium rise, neither slim nor baggy, with the subtlest hint of a bootcut. Lots of other nice details too, including lined rear pockets.
Excellent. I am in serious consideration of those XX-type Denimes (I prefer the Levis type over the Lee type). How are you going to accomodate for shrinkage?

I was thinking of giving them a warm soak brand new (no detergent) so that when they shrink, the whiskers and fades don't slide up to the incorrect spots. Denimes are so god damn heavy, it shouldn't be a problem getting crisp wear marks even after a soak.

-B

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1)  The new Paper Denims are not up to snuff, especially given the cool stuff from before.
It's like they've decided to jump on the strangely-distressed bandwagon because everyone else has already grown tired and jumped off.

What's with the 'Fold' wash? I know plenty of people who work in dirt, and none of them have jeans that look anything like that. And who's going to pay full price for a pair of PDC twill shorts?

My Nudie RRs have had about twenty-something wearings... not long now.

In the meantime, I've decided I'm going to buy a couple of pairs of loose-fit jeans from... wait for it... Lands' End. Just because I've been on an LE-buying binge, and want to see how they hold up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads