• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ten best jeans

sanmateo

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I fear you're right. I've been watching US ebay for ages and nobody ever sells them there...

I may crack though; that insane attention to repro detail really gets me.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear LA Guy,

you warm my heart that you threw in 501's for old times sake.

At this point, I'd like to invite you to accompany me to the Andover Shop next time I am back in Cambridge.  Will kicks some ass together if you like.

edit: attrocious spelling.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dear LA Guy,

you warm my heart that you threw in 501's for old times sake.

At this point, I'd like to invite you to accompany me to the Andover Shop next time I am back in Cambridge. Will kicks some ass together if you like.

Thank you very much - the 501 deserves a spot on that list - they weren't always so poorly constructed and of such poor materials as they were today. Vintage (and repro) 501's are the real mcCoy.

As for your invitation, I'll have to think about it. When I walk out on a store, I have never gone back, and very seldom have I been condescended to in the manner I was there. I appreciate the offer though,

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been musing around int he shops this afeternoon. Found the Nudie Ola bootcut for 99 euros (unwashed), they look nice but I can't put up with the bright stitching and lewd pocket design.

.luc

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't seem to find any of these great jeans in my size on eBay besides Diesels, and I'm very very nervous about buying Diesels via auction. Guess I'll just have to wait until I go to the states in the summer and visit the Diesel store there. They should have a sale going on. They did last year.

I've been toying around with the idea of getting some jeans custom-made here. Shouldn't be too hard, I would think. However, I have little experience telling good denim from bad.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
iluc,

I think that, given an assessment of your tastes from other posts, that you would be happiest with *some* Paper Denim GTO 1 years (I say some because the level of distressing can vary significantly from one pair to another) or the Da'mage Rekko. The Da'mage Rekko is a little more relaxed cut, nearly a straightleg, but the color is really interesting - a very rich blue, and there is an interesting detail - the type of stitching on the outseam is what you normally expect on the outseam and vice verso. The Paper Denim GTO-01 is also a dark blue, but a washed (rather than one rinse) jean with more grey in the dye, but the cut is amazing, and the pale yellow stitching, with just is simple and appealing. There is not even a leather tag on the outside. The only distinguishing features (apart frm the great cut, fit, and color) are the distinctive but understated color of the yellow stitching, two discreet J-shaped stitches on the back pockets, and the silver rivet on the crtch, just like the earliest Levis.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They should have a sale going on. They did last year.

Diesel Denim pretty much never goes on sale in their retail stores. Bloomingdales, Nordstrom, and Macys are much better bets. Are there no good jeans available in S. Korea?

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been toying around with the idea of getting some jeans custom-made here. Shouldn't be too hard, I would think. However, I have little experience telling good denim from bad.
I'm doing that - but the daughter of my seamstress had a baby recently, so she's taking some time off to help out.

But I'll have 'em soon. I went with quite a heavy medium-blue denim with a woven-in white windowpane. Kinda novelty jeans, so they don't have to be double-ringspun right-hand selvage denim, they just have to fit.

lionel

Reaction score
LA Guy, Apparently your list is already famous. I was checking the souliers.net forum and guess what I've found... Here's the link Did the moderator of the french forum have your permission?

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Diesel Denim pretty much never goes on sale in their retail stores. Â Bloomingdales, Nordstrom, and Macys are much better bets. Â Are there no good jeans available in S. Korea?
At the Diesel store at Ala Moana in Hawaii, there was a rack of jeans on sale. I ended paying $100 for a pair instead of whatever insane retail price tag they had. That's what I meant. They should still have that rack there... the economy isn't exactly booming. I doubt Korean manufacturers would be as savvy as others when it comes to denim quality and styling. Anything imported is insanely priced. My only options are online and my annual trip to Hawaii. gg visits to grandma. Edit: That mozart guy is either completely clueless or an absolute tool. Nick: This double-ringspun right-hand selvage malarkey has me dizzy. I can totally understand good wool from bad wool when I visit the tailor. I wish I could do the same for denim
sad.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did the moderator of the french forum have your permission?

Not at all.  That is my list, verbatim, except that he took off the Earnest Sewns and put in Edwins.  The writing style of his number 10 is even different.  I don't want to get involved, and everything I post here is technically J.'s property.  I'm going to ask him to contact the administrator and see that the proper attribution (doesn't even need to be to me, but should be at least to the forum) is made.  It is flattering, but copping someone else's style and saying it is your own is totally uncool.

Actually, I would appreciate it if someone posted on that site and pointed out the same post, with one minor change, actually appeared on this forum 7 days earlier.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Actually, it's LA Guy's property, and I apologize for not dealing with it earlier. I did email him, and we'll see what happens. I actually found this thread, though, to ask a jeans question. (Since this seems to be the 'omnibus jeans discussion thread'.) I picked up a pair of 'irregular' jeans at Marshalls, thinking they would be good for work or whatever. Tried them on, and guess what, they fit EXACTLY how I want my jeans to fit. What is this mysterious brand/model? Levi's 517 boot cut in 32x34. I have to wash them now because they smell like a Guitarwolf concert, so we'll see how they come through that. Unfortunately, though, they are made of the crappy Levi's fabric. My question is this: is there another model of jeans cut just like that, or maybe with a slimmer lower leg, only made out of good selvedge denim? Are the APC standards anything like this? I still haven't gotten around to ordering my pair of those. Thanks.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is this mysterious brand/model? Levi's 517 boot cut in 32x34. I have to wash them now because they smell like a Guitarwolf concert, so we'll see how they come through that. Unfortunately, though, they are made of the crappy Levi's fabric.

My question is this: is there another model of jeans cut just like that, or maybe with a slimmer lower leg, only made out of good selvedge denim? Are the APC standards anything like this? I still haven't gotten around to ordering my pair of those.

I would say that the Anglaise fit is closer to the 517 than the New (or old) Standard. Good luck,

Fok.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I just wanted to post in a jeans thread, just to say I had done it.

Anyone want to guess how many pairs of jeans I own? There is, alas, no prize for getting the correct answer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads