Ten best jeans

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Feb 23, 2005.

1. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

If anyone's interested, it looks like there are a couple of pairs of Nudie Jeans on Yoox for $138 IMMSMC. Not sure about the style or wash (Yoox is really bereft of useful information, and I don't know enough about jeans to identify specifics on sight).

Personally, while I'm sure Nudies are well made, I just can't get past the back pocket design. It reminds me of Jordache or Sergio Valente from the '80s. Of course, I'm 35 and most likely no longer with it.

Regards,

Jeff

2. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

Classic instructions for Japanese indigo clothing is usually 2 parts water, 1 part vinegar in a bucket or tub, soak the clothing overnight.  Then you put the clothing flat in the bathtub, cover it with cold water, and stomp it for several minutes (think traditional winemaker stomp) after which you rinse it again then line dry.

Oh, and done with new cotton clothing that is dyed with indigo, this will result in a blue bathtub, blue feet, etc. as well as a purportedly "dye-set" garment.

3. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

The Nudies on YOOX are Regular Ralf dry, either regular Dry, Greycast, or Selvage. It is impossible to tell in its pristine state. They look like greycast in the photo, but it could be slightly odd lighting. The differences between the three possibilities do not appear until a bit of wear.

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I would vote for greycast Regular Ralph Dry as well.

5. juuceman

juuceman Senior member

there's a few dry cleaning shop tailors in soho and tribeca (probably everyone does it now) who will maintain the bottom of the jeans- basically they just do an internal cuff, right to the bottom hem and stitch it just so.. they charge $20, have it done in under an hour, and it looks and holds great..

6. amirrorcrackd

amirrorcrackd Senior member

(shoreman1782 @ Mar. 02 2005,13:33) If you do a search on the forum, you might hit on some testimonials/advice on hemming jeans; it's come up a lot lately. People have mentioned that you can keep the original hem. I have not done this - I dunno who's qualified, willing, or how much it costs. My tailor - who's nothing special - has done a fine job on mine, but I've never asked him to maintain a hem.
    there's a few dry cleaning shop tailors in soho and tribeca (probably everyone does it now) who will maintain the bottom of the jeans- basically they just do an internal cuff, right to the bottom hem and stitch it just so.. they charge $20, have it done in under an hour, and it looks and holds great..
    Or you could go two blocks east to the LES and have the same exact thing done for $5-$10. This is, of course, if you are in NYC. Dan

7. LA Guy

Seen it, done it, hated it. It really screws up the break of the jean, and I absolutely *hate* the extra fabric. Just get you jeans hemmed normally. If you wear jeans around and actually wash them, don't worry, the hems will wear in nicely after a very short while.

8. rlevine

rlevine Well-Known Member

I also read that ironing the hem when they are wet can hasten the wear of the hem. I haven't tried it, can anyone confirm?

9. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Another suggestion was hemming with cotton thread that once washed will shrink up and pucker the hem properly. True?

10. amirrorcrackd

amirrorcrackd Senior member

Pressing the hem was also previously recommended.

Dan

11. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

there's a few dry cleaning shop tailors in soho and tribeca (probably everyone does it now) who will maintain the bottom of the jeans- basically they just do an internal cuff, right to the bottom hem and stitch it just so..
    Seen it, done it, hated it. It really screws up the break of the jean, and I absolutely *hate* the extra fabric. Just get you jeans hemmed normally. If you wear jeans around and actually wash them, don't worry, the hems will wear in nicely after a very short while.
    When my wife has it done, the tailor does it perfectly and discrd the extra fabric. If I tried now to find these jeans in her closet, I couldn't spot them without the closest inspection. When my jeans are too long, I do what I did for decades before Levi's of varing lenghts were readily bought, which is to cuff them and show the internal thread color.

12. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

So here's a question... is it feasible to do an 'original hemming' above the knee? The hemming line would probably be visible, but again, they're just jeans. If it's do-able, I'll finally be able to buy those GTO 1-years I've always wanted, without having the 'back-of-the-knee' whiskering ending up on my calves. Â [​IMG]

13. LA Guy

Just look for a pair without the behind the knees whiskering. As I've stated before, the degree of whiskering is very, very variable. My current, brand new pair of GTO-01 has absolutely *no* whiskering behind the knees.

Not sure what exactly you meant by the first question, but I think the answer will be a resounding no.

14. sanmateo

sanmateo Well-Known Member

Do any of you denim fetishists know anywhere to pick up the Buzz Rickson and/or Sugar Cane jeans in the states? For less than $165 - 200, I mean. I'm willing to order from Japan, too, if that's possible.

Many thanks in advance for your suggestions.

15. LA Guy

I doubt it. You can pick these super heavyweight babies up at: http://historypreservation.com/hpass.../sugarcane.php But they *are* going to cost you. I highly doubt you'll find them for much cheaper elsewhere. Good luck though.