• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tall Skinny Guy Needs Winter Clothes

seanohue

Reaction score
Hey styleforum, I need some help finding winter clothes. I'm a 21 y/o engineering student, graduating in May; tall, lanky, 6'2" 160lbs, 32" waist, 34" inseam, no idea on chest measurements, long arms, little sense of style. First thing I need is a jacket/hoodie/something that is really warm, casual, and under $150. It would be the jacket I'd wear when it's too cold for a regular hoodie but I don't feel like lugging around my snowboarding jacket. It should be warm enough to handle below freezing temps with moderate wind (for walking to class on those 4 degree F mornings) and not necessarily water proof. I really like heavy full-zip hoodies, like this, or this(with the funnel neck) but they're out of my price range and hard to find. I would be interested in a more formal looking over coat, but I don't know what I am looking for or where to look. I typically wear loose fit boot-cut jeans or twill pants and am not sure how an overcoat would look on those.

The other thing I need are long sleeve shirts that fit. Not dress shirts, but casual cotton shirts of various styles/graphics/colors and less than $40 a shirt. I typically wear a large t-shirt, but the regular large t-shirt style long sleeves are never long enough in the arms for me. So, SF, please recommend me some brands, places to shop, or even some complete looks if you can.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
North Face and Jos. A Bank.

Done.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Seriously, guy. You can't do a search? Also, you can't differentiate between the Men's Clothing and Streetwear? This belongs in the latter.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
North Face and Jos. A Bank. Done.
Neither makes thin-enough clothing with long-enough arms. From a useless CS email JAB sent me some months ago:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, we do not carry a 38 long, or our finished pants in a size 32x34. We do apologize for any inconvenience that this has caused. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us at any time.
Originally Posted by jrd617
Seriously, guy. You can't do a search? Also, you can't differentiate between the Men's Clothing and Streetwear? This belongs in the latter.
THIS. I wouldn't want to hire an engineer fresh out of college who can't figure out something this straightforward.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're built almost exactly like I was for most of my life. I don't wear hoodies, but try layering with sweaters in small sizes (yes, that's right, I said small). For some reason, sweaters are made with longer sleeves that shirts, so small sizes fit my body and my sleeves.

For a winter coat, try a pea coat. I ordered a double-breasted model in 40L from Sterlingwear and I'm extremely happy with it. It'll probably cost you a little more than $150 and you'll need a scarf to seal the neck.

(Sterlingwear's Authentic peacoat is $149.99: http://www.sterlingwear.com/cart/ind...id=10&parent=1. I bought one in charcoal gray)

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For shirts in tall sizes, try LL Bean and LandsEnd. To get away from flannel, rugby, and dress shirts (all I could find for years in tall sizes), try www.theterritoryahead.com. Their quality is highly variable, but I love some of their textured shirts (like waffle corduroy). Also, find a good alterations tailor. I have every RTW shirt I buy taken in through the chest and arms and I have the armholes raised. Edit: To hit your price range, you may need to wait for sales. Check the LandsEnd overstocks section, especially at the end of each season (so early Spring and early Fall).

skinnyboy

Reaction score
i just opened a shop just for skinny guys! i hope you have a great time perusing my items. i will be constantly adding more. i know all about the skinny guy plight and i have made it my mission to give my fellow skinny guys options! http://www.etsy.com/shop/ViciousBoy richey vicious

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads