Taking in a suit half-a-size

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gpn25, Oct 11, 2013.

1. gpn25

gpn25 New Member

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help with a definitive answer.

I've usually been a 38R in the past, but recently got a MTM suit from MySuit and it turns out that a "39.5R" fits much, much better. I've also noticed that some of my other suit jackets are fitting a bit snug around the shoulders & chest now.

I just ordered two suits from Macy's (the columbus day sale had some good deals) at 40R. Wondering if it's a huge hassle (and a huge cost?) to take in a suit just a tad from 40R to around 39R.

Thanks in advance!

2. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

The difference between a 40R, and a hypothetical 39R or 39.5R, is so minor that it might well be overshadowed by the normal variation in size 40R's.

If the suits you ordered run even slightly on the small side for their marked size, you've little about which to worry. And if they don't, then return them and keep shopping around for 40R suits that are a better fit for you; it's almost always preferable (and often cheaper) to buy an OTR suit which comes as close as possible to fitting you well, right from the start.

3. gpn25

gpn25 New Member

You've got a good point, I guess. The suits I got were the Tommy Hilfiger slim fits...I guess it might me the case that the 40R slim fit fits more like a 39R...here's hoping.

4. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

There probably aren't any suits on sale at Macy's this weekend that could definitely be called a good deal. Quality issues, sir. You would be better off returning the suits and searching for deals elsewhere.

5. GBR

GBR Senior member

There is no definitive answer. Different makes, different cuts: What matters is how each garment fits not what the label says.