• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Taking in a suit half-a-size

gpn25

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hoping someone can help with a definitive answer.

I've usually been a 38R in the past, but recently got a MTM suit from MySuit and it turns out that a "39.5R" fits much, much better. I've also noticed that some of my other suit jackets are fitting a bit snug around the shoulders & chest now.

I just ordered two suits from Macy's (the columbus day sale had some good deals) at 40R. Wondering if it's a huge hassle (and a huge cost?) to take in a suit just a tad from 40R to around 39R.

Thanks in advance!

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The difference between a 40R, and a hypothetical 39R or 39.5R, is so minor that it might well be overshadowed by the normal variation in size 40R's.

If the suits you ordered run even slightly on the small side for their marked size, you've little about which to worry. And if they don't, then return them and keep shopping around for 40R suits that are a better fit for you; it's almost always preferable (and often cheaper) to buy an OTR suit which comes as close as possible to fitting you well, right from the start.

gpn25

Reaction score
You've got a good point, I guess. The suits I got were the Tommy Hilfiger slim fits...I guess it might me the case that the 40R slim fit fits more like a 39R...here's hoping.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There probably aren't any suits on sale at Macy's this weekend that could definitely be called a good deal. Quality issues, sir. You would be better off returning the suits and searching for deals elsewhere.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help with a definitive answer.

I've usually been a 38R in the past, but recently got a MTM suit from MySuit and it turns out that a "39.5R" fits much, much better. I've also noticed that some of my other suit jackets are fitting a bit snug around the shoulders & chest now.

I just ordered two suits from Macy's (the columbus day sale had some good deals) at 40R. Wondering if it's a huge hassle (and a huge cost?) to take in a suit just a tad from 40R to around 39R.

Thanks in advance!

There is no definitive answer. Different makes, different cuts: What matters is how each garment fits not what the label says.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads