• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailoring the length on J Crew Ludlow Suits and Topcoats

smansoor

Reaction score
Can the J. Crew Ludlow wool jackets be tailored properly to shorten the length? I'm a 38S and I need atleast 1-1.5 inch off a 38R jacket (which is at a steal of a price!!). I would also need about 3-4 inches off a Ludlow topcoat. I'm suspecting the topcoat should be easy and can be done at any basic alterations place...but the suit jacket. Please share if you have any experience or knowledge in this area. Any tailor recommendations in Toronto would be much appreciated :) - Thanks!!

jonng85

Reaction score
From what I've read on this forum, you can only shorten a suit jacket 1/2 inch, maybe 1 inch, before the pockets look out of place.

EzraPaul

Reaction score
jonng85 is right, more than .5" will start to look disproportionate. One thing that can be done to steal a little more length is to tuck the flap pockets into the jacket and sew them shut so they look like besom pockets. It's a visual trick that helps make the pockets not look too close to the bottom of the jacket. Have the tailor pin the jacket and take a pic and post would be the best idea.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads