• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailoring in Delhi - Review

Ashoka

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Glad to join you here. I decided to do so after reading a few posts on this forum while in the process of getting suits stitched in Delhi.

The suits are now done and I'm very happy with them. I spent a lot of time looking for the best option available, and I think that hearing about my experience can save you some time if you decide to get a suit stitched in Delhi.

First off, there are A LOT of tailors in Delhi, with prices ranging from $70 to $1500. I checked about 20 of them. Most were a mere waste of time for they either had terrible fabrics or advice that made me run away (e.g. "A white suit is a great choice for a business" is something I have actually been told!)

Also you want to be extra careful at what kind of fabric you're actually getting. Many dishonest tailors have shown me fabrics which they claimed was "pure wool" when it was actually blended. Don't trust the tags either for they sometimes are deceitful. My advice would be to ask for samples when in doubt, and perform fire tests at home (or just go to Vaish at Rivoli mentioned below to save yourself some time and hassle ;))

I ended up making three suits, at three different tailors, for about $300 - $600 each. Two of them are OK, but not really worth celebrating.

One of them is marvellous though! That's the one I made at Vaish at Rivoli. That's also the only one that's an actual bespoke suit, vs. MTM for the two others.

Everything is great about it:
- The fabric is an amazing imported wool with very subtle details. The store is loaded with plenty of very unique fabrics, alongside with more classic ones.
- The details are fantastic. A great care is put into making buttons, stitches and pockets look good and unique. This is especially rare from what I've seen in other tailors, where cheap plastic buttons are put on a $500 fabric...
- The fit is outstanding. Better than anything else I've tried before. It took four fittings, including one skeleton fit to reach that level. I thought it was amazing on the first try, but these guys are so obsessed that they kept improving it further.
- Even the price was good. I expected Vaish at Rivoli to be ultra expensive given the standing of their shop and the selection they carry (e.g. Zegna, Kiton...), but it actually was Very reasonable! Roughly what I paid for my previous APC OTR suit back home.

Finally, the experience itself was great. I saw a lot of posts here on SF about the charm of the bespoke experience: going from an idea to a garment, feeling like teaming up with your tailor on a project and so forth. Before going to Vaish, I really thought that was BS for dealing with the other Delhi tailors was much more pain than pleasure.

I changed my mind with Vaish. They really did a fantastic job at introducing me to the bespoke world which was new to me. They really want it to be that way and it feels splendid! Also, their honest and expert, Saville Row trained advice is really helpful in overcoming the doubts that can strike you when having a suit made.

So to wrap it up: Yes getting a suit stitched in Delhi can be a real hassle of trying to uncover the truth behind what a dishonest tailor is telling you, being worried about ending up with an ill-fitting suit in a boring fabric.

BUT, it can also be a delightful experience, free of all these worries. That's what dealing with Vaish has been for me and I hope you'll get to try it for yourself :)

I'll post some photos soon so you can see for yourself how great the suit is!

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing.....pics would definitely help, especially if you've documented the entire process - would be great see each step of the way.

tdiddy23

Reaction score
Great post. I can second the recommendation for Vaish. Very reputable people. I had a jacket made there when visiting, they were able to accommodate a second fitting at the end of my trip. The jacket turned out great and they nailed the fit. I'm not sure how it would stand up to some of the more expensive bespoke tailors in North American/Europe/UK if subject to a tear down (saw one review elsewhere that said they 'broke the rules with the shoulder construction' when taken for adjustment back home) but I'm quite happy with it and would suggest that it represents really good value.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great post. I can second the recommendation for Vaish. Very reputable people. I had a jacket made there when visiting, they were able to accommodate a second fitting at the end of my trip. The jacket turned out great and they nailed the fit. I'm not sure how it would stand up to some of the more expensive bespoke tailors in North American/Europe/UK if subject to a tear down (saw one review elsewhere that said they 'broke the rules with the shoulder construction' when taken for adjustment back home) but I'm quite happy with it and would suggest that it represents really good value.

Advertising;

Neither this nor the OP convince in any way whatever. No one gratuitously joins to congratulate a vendor nor starts in the way the OP does.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pics or GTFO!

tdiddy23

Reaction score
Advertising;

Neither this nor the OP convince in any way whatever. No one gratuitously joins to congratulate a vendor nor starts in the way the OP does.

Wow thanks for the benefit of the doubt guys... :paranoia:

Here's me getting first fitting to check basic cut before the fabric came in from England. Guy to the right is Vaish, tall guy is me. Satisfied?

y4mJz3MqaRDhcx2P9TTa4tZF1jUKPIH6wEz17NgoWaviPBagsb3ufPHe9eFssq1XDjTaKVFEgUCEmlgUBM_QLLqIAqqxlBJQ_kGGfkeggTybhtXsro_LNC3-N8rT6y62LuG_izytOCeOtkQs1ItT9S4qmBCWIYa6zxJ3Fy8ZAvD5kYF3TWA5ub5KXCs3w9-zlA03RFrW7GNca63z9IdYOExcA

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Satisfied? Where is the pic of the finished product? GTFO!

tdiddy23

Reaction score
Satisfied? Where is the pic of the finished product? GTFO!

Here's a fresh picture from today for the skeptics. Notice the dreary Vancouver day in the background (ie not in Delhi) It is a velvet burgundy bandhgala that I picked out as a fun piece as as souvenir of sorts on my first trip to India that I intend to wear to a couple of South Asian weddings as a fun evening piece. I'm not wearing the appropriate shirt under at the moment, detachable collar tuxedo shirt on its way from Luxire. Vaish seemed to make mostly western attire from what I could see in the shop fwiw.

I wonder if my post would have received as much skepticism if it were about a British tailor instead?

ter1413, this would the be the appropriate time for a civilized person to apologize.
y4m79MRQwXSA28CEQIo2eIi6oZW4pKASFBy5WU8tjgFTDdEBcxkwR5H2_fttiNkIpwJj6TwH1HWSVL5WYbEU_c8KvgNNtKqPtSWkv5Dabi5eagazZrs-WIlFPnLTw8JgNamGtp6ZIAbgGPcAbg0BtILduK9a_7Z6ZU7e3YyPL0yJMQY4EPkN4VnSVRkT7cUpj3oulEYH_q5FEoxyTRPH5o0Tg

Ashoka

Reaction score
Lovely jacket tdiddy23

Here's a photo of my suit: http://imgur.com/a/fpXpQ
Please note that it is a 2pcs suit, the waistcoat is not part of it. I just tried a random vest once the suit was done to see how it looked like on me and decide on whether to make it or not.

Feedback is more than welcome!

@ter1413 I indeed think that apologies would be appropriate. If you're still curious about the reason behind my post, here it goes: I was so delighted when I came to pick up the suit, that I made numerous compliments to Vaish Father and Son. They said it meaned a lot and said that it would be good to let others know about it, which is what I am doing right now.

Ashoka

Reaction score
Just a quick addition, got one thing wrong: They obviously carry Zegna, but not Kiton which is not a fabric seller. They got in touch with me to let me know about my mistake :)

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations Mr Vaish or whatever your name is on one of the least convincing advertising puffs ever: You do not convince me in the slightest. I have certainly never seen a suit cut and fitted in that way with two people needed to hold it on nor could that even be considered to have any resemblance to a baste fitting nor can I see what is gained from this curious activity. Using a cotton 'musk' cloth to make a preliminary fitting is still done by very old school high end tailor but not like this!

So no, you do not convince me and the grey rag of which you have created an image is namely that. You have suddenly got very coy at showing yourself; compare that image of the red Ghandi garb. Why change and given the doubts simply established continuity by not showing your neck?

Just look at how these reports are actually made and how little yours actually show.

I think that @ter1413 remains entirely justified and I agree with him.

Last edited:

Ashoka

Reaction score
Congratulations Mr Vaish or whatever your name is on one of the least convincing advertising puffs ever: You do not convince me in the slightest. I have certainly never seen a suit cut and fitted in that way with two people needed to hold it on nor could that even be considered to have any resemblance to a baste fitting nor can I see what is gained from this curious activity. Using a cotton 'musk' cloth to make a preliminary fitting is still done by very old school high end tailor but not like this!

So no, you do not convince me and the grey rag of which you have created an image is namely that. You have suddenly got very coy at showing yourself; compare that image of the red Ghandi garb. Why change and given the doubts simply established continuity by not showing your neck?

Just look at how these reports are actually made and how little yours actually show.

I think that @ter1413 remains entirely justified and I agree with him.

You do realize that you sound a lot like these guys who believe in Illuminatis ruling the world and post dumb things about it, right?

Again, I am just a regular customer, not a rep, PR or the owner of that shop. I didn't get any discount whatsoever for this post either. I was very happy with what I got at Vaish, and they suggested that I post about it online as it would do them a favor.

I wanted to be nice and I did it, and I still can't get what's so hard to grasp about it.

Maybe your doubts come from how extensive my report was. That's because I like to write and thought the part about tailors in Delhi would be helpful to others. Most likely though, your doubts come from an unjustified suspicion towards Indians being cheaters and low quality service providers, as pointed out by @tdiddy23. Unfortunately, there's nothing I can possibly say to fix that.

Cheers,

nishan22

Reaction score
Does Vaish still do a floating canvas? When I was there a few years back they wanted Rs 40,000 for a full canvas and said it would take 8 weeks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads