• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tailoring blazers

kilokore

Reaction score
i've got a couple of cotton blazers from AX that i prematurely bought a few years ago. I like the color, shoulder and chest fit, arm length, etc. however i believe some adjustment on the length must be made if to be worn effectively.

So is it an okay practice to shorten blazer lengths?? Is it a common thing to ask tailors??

Any information on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is fairly common and any good tailor can do it. It is not the cheapest of alterations and you should also consider how the shortening will affect the balance.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can shorten the blazer, but you can't move the pockets. You have to make sure it's not too short or the pockets will appear misplaced.

!luc

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally speaking, a jacket can't be shortened more than an inch without affecting the balance.

kilokore

Reaction score
When you say I can't move the pockets, are you implying that I may not do so because it is against what is considered common practice or that modern tailoring techniques are unable to accomplish such feats?

And what do you guys mean by balance??

CoryB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kilokore
When you say I can't move the pockets, are you implying that I may not do so because it is against what is considered common practice or that modern tailoring techniques are unable to accomplish such feats?

And what do you guys mean by balance??

It is impossible. Even if they were patch pockets (those which are on the outside of the jacket) it would leave marks and so can't be done. Balance is simply the way things look in relation to each other. Each part of the jacket has a set place in relation to all others. When you change a part, such as shortening the jacket length, it alters the balance. Slight changes are fine, but substantial alterations will make the jacket look "off."

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Pockets can not be moved because they are cut into the cloth of the jacket, with the exception of patch pockets that could be moved up.

I would substitute the word proportion for balance. Shortening the jacket could disturb the proportions of the jacket. Meaning the pockets or button position become too close to the bottom and throw off the jacket balance. Too much distance from the button going up and too short from the button downward. There, I used both terms.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads