• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailor pant size from 30W to 32? Possible?

hommer

Reaction score
I bought a suit in 36R from Macys. The blazer fits me ok but the pant does not fit me. I normally wear 32W but the pant is 30W. Is it possible to have it tailored to 32W?

Also, the shoulders of the blazer are kinda funny, I feel like the shoulder pads actually stick out, I can press them down. Is it possible to have it tailored?

Sorry, newbie to buying a suit.

The fabric is 98% wool, 2% cashmere if that helps.

Thanks

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't be a problem, check the back of the pants, there should be a tab of material that will allow them to be let out by that amount of fabric. If there isn't one, then it'll be more difficult.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
your tailor would know from looking at the inseam at the seat. I have a pair of suit trouser let out by 1-1/2" before, so it really depends on the trousers

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Traditionally suit trousers are made with an allowance of fabric for expanding the waist 2-3 inches worth, though these days those margins are getting less and less as makers try to skimp on fabric and save money. Anything of decent quality will have enough fabric.

As for the shoulder pads, they amy be made to do that to achieve a specific look, but a tailor should be able to modify it more to your taste. That'll be a good bit more expensive then the pants though.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hommer
I bought a suit in 36R from Macys. The blazer fits me ok but the pant does not fit me. I normally wear 32W but the pant is 30W. Is it possible to have it tailored to 32W?

Also, the shoulders of the blazer are kinda funny, I feel like the shoulder pads actually stick out, I can press them down. Is it possible to have it tailored?

Sorry, newbie to buying a suit.

The fabric is 98% wool, 2% cashmere if that helps.

Thanks

This of course is NOT a suit - a blazer and trousers.

The trousers maybe capable of being let out - depends on whether there is material spare at the rear seam. Cheaper makes will not have this. How on earth could you buy trousers that are not your size?

The blazer is more difficult without seeing it but at a price something may be possible if you visit a decent tailor. Not entirely a good idea though depending upon the skill of your chosen supplier.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even if there is no extra material, a good tailor will add a concealed band of cloth at the back of the waist in order to let it out.

hommer

Reaction score
Wow didn't expect that many replies. Thanks guys.

Well, I did not get to choose the pant size. All I could choose is the suit size which is 36R. I tried on the blazer at a Macys store and it fitted but I did not try on the pant assuming the pant would fit too. I then bought it online for a special promotion.

There is indeed some extra material at the rear seam. The smaller size actually fits my thigh better. I want to go for the slim look.

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
A bit off topic, but it is a suit, in spite of what GBR said. The jacket of your suit is refered to as a "jacket" or "suit jacket." A blazer is a individual jacket that is made to be worn with pants of a different color.

Sorry to be pedantic, just so you know for future use.

Should be no problem to have it let out, it's a common alteration. Good luck and enjoy the suit!

EZ

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads