• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailor Nightmare - White Dress Shirt

DC35

Reaction score
My tailor decided the button holes on my dress shirt were too large and did this insane patching and sowing to shrink the button holes. I never had any issue with the buttons coming loose.

Can this hack job be undone?

This was done on all 9 holes of the shirt.

Last edited:

DC35

Reaction score

DC35

Reaction score
Nice lady. Speaks almost no English. Now I know why the job was so expensive. All I wanted was one button moved on a cuff, all the buttons tightened because they were falling off, and the top button moved slightly to give me more room in the neck.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like a classic "misunderstanding." Chalk it up to lessons learned, and be thankful it was only a shirt. It's also a reminder that anyone with a needle and thread can hang a tailor sign. Lots of incompetence out there, and one must be especially careful of lady tailors because they are apt to cater more to women and may not understand menswear alterations so much. There is a lady tailor near me whom I trust for minor stuff like pant cuffs; anything beyond that I take to my Korean guy who always has a long wait, but he knows what he's doing.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads