• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sydney Tailors

sydney lawyer

Reaction score
I would like some information from people who have experience of tailors in Sydney. Who are considered the best? How much should one expect to pay for a bespoke suit?

There is a tailor near my work. His name is Sam Finocchiario, in Bathurst Street, Sydney. Has anyone heard of him? What is he like? He says people travel from Melbourne to have suits made by him. Someone said they saw Bob Carr walking into his premises. I had Sam do some repairs, but I have no idea what he is like as a cutter and stylist.

I have had a suit made by Ianni Bros in Macquarie Street in the past. I was not satisfied. It was a comfortable fit, but there was no styling. I am short and overweight, and I would like a suit to make me look better, not worse.

Which opens up another issue. How does one instruct a tailor? Does one need to do heaps of research and study? What if you don't know exactly what you want in terms of style?

I have heard of Cutler, but I am not interested in paying over $5,000 for a suit. By the time I get a waistcoat and extra trousers, I will be bankrupt!

ZengaGent

Reaction score
Welcome to SF,

This topic has been covered in quite a few threads. Best to use the search function with such keywords as 'Sydney' and 'Tailor'. Also, Sator is very knowledgeable on this subject; you may wish to send him a PM.

Off the top of my head however, the consensus on SF is really (in no particular order):

1) Cutler

2) Adamo

3) Victor Alacqua

4) Sam Disano

Do a search on any of these names and I'm sure you'll find what you're after.

Also, if you're that concerned about style, you might consider a reputable brand with a) a cut that suits you, and b) a good MTM program. Names that spring to mind are Zegna, Pal Zileri, and Caruso. The latter two are available from Harrolds.

Regards
ZegnaGent

sydney lawyer

Reaction score
Not very helpful ZegnaGent.

You can assume that I had already done some research, including a reasonably thorough search of the site and that I was trying to get some more information. Where in the site is there a word about Sam Finocchiaro? Where is there a comprehensive discussion of the type of instructions one might give to a tailor? Where is a there discussion of the relative merits of Sydney tailors and a comparison of prices (there is some, but you have to look long and hard to find it and there are only some clues that might enable comparison)?

Why are you trying to stomp on this?

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think that is his intention.

sydney lawyer

Reaction score
OK, but answers to the original would be more useful than debating whether or not something has been discussed before, or what someone's intentions were. Anyway, I'll keep on researching elsewhere and when I have some more information I will post it.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sydney lawyer
OK, but answers to the original would be more useful than debating whether or not something has been discussed before, or what someone's intentions were. Anyway, I'll keep on researching elsewhere and when I have some more information I will post it.

You are sounding very aggressive for a guy with three posts...there is heaps of discussion about the subject...go find the posts...

CatsEyes

Reaction score
On the other hand, mate, if you do search for and find all those posts (easy enough), I'm a little worried you might talk to the tailors in the same tone you're using here...

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sydney lawyer
- this is quite funny coming from a lawyer..
- I suggest you ask some of your fellow colleagues, as the a few of my friends are in the legal game & they are usually well turned out..
- & the reason why there has been no comment about the 2 tailors you mention is that they are either not well established or as you have expressed:
1. Bob Carr was seen walking in (never a good sign)
2. you weren't satisfied
- reality is you get what you pay for, if you want bespoke - then you have to pay for the attention (but then you will also have to have attention to detail, so I suggest you read more in this forum)
What Zenga gent offered was a good summary of the various threads on this forum

Good luck

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait, wait, wait! Soon we'll all be off to mediation, if this keeps up.

The above list is about the best you'll find with or without a search, tough toe nails.

In the matter of the other things, as you might say, you're asking quite a bit here. Indeed, you're asking so much that a comprehensive answer can't really be given. You might get a few tips or hints, and I'm sure you'll hate my reply, if even you read this far, but any tailor worth his salt will know what you're trying to say by words and gestures alone. You don't need all the lingo. It might help, but it might also mess things up. Most of us here and on other forums learn as we go. You'll also learn as you go in the process of having your clothes made. Trying to get it 100% first time round is a recipe for disaster, as is expecting 100%. You might get lucky, but you might not.

Be patient and understanding and your tailor will be, too. Unfortunately, the way you've gone about things so far might suggest your facility for such is poor. I put this down to your occupation. All right, the bad lawyer jokes end here.

Good luck.

sydney lawyer

Reaction score
I am sorry if I sounded aggressive. I thought zengagent's reply was somewhat patronizing and inaccurate. A number of others have made some inaccurate or irrelevant comments.

I had already done considerable research on the forum. The information is far from comprehensive - it is more like clues - bits and pieces all over the place. I thought it would be useful to stimulate a discussion where all this information could be summarized in one place.

The tailor I was referring to - Sam Finocchiaro - is expensive. That is my main gripe with him. He starts at about $3,000 a suit, using fairly basic cloth. I need extra trousers. I am also considering a waistcoat. But he hand-stitches everything. So I have no doubt about the quality of his work. I was wanting to see whether anyone else had a suit made by him and could comment on his sttyling ability.

I am less concerned about styling details than about the overall cut. Being short and overweight, I want a tailor who is skilled at making the best of the bad shape I present him with. From the sounds of it, Sam Disano is one who tends to hide and flatter one's shape more than others who go for a more "natural" look. Then again, I was looking for discussion about whether that is the most appropriate option for someone like me. As I said, I was not satisfied with Ianni Bros in Macquaries Street (sadly, I found out today they have closed, one of the brothers having died) because their suit, although very comfortable, but lacked style. Again, Ianni Bros were expensive traditional tailors, who made suits for Rupert Murdoch and other notable gentlemen.

So, please don't assume you are talking to a total idiot, and I won't be aggressive in return.

Is AndrewRogers the same person as (former) Justice Andrew Rogers?

Cheers,

sydney lawyer

Reaction score
I am sorry if I sounded aggressive. I thought zengagent's reply was somewhat patronizing and inaccurate. A number of you have a few things wrong here.

I had already done considerable research on the forum. The information is far from comprehensive - it is more like clues - bits and pieces all over the place. I thought it would be useful to stimulate a discussion where all this information could be summarized in one place.

The tailor I was referring to - Sam Finocchiaro - is expensive. That is my main gripe with him. He starts at about $3,000 a suit, using fairly basic cloth. I need extra trousers. I am also considering a waistcoat. But he hand-stitches everything. So I have no doubt about the quality of his work. I was wanting to see whether anyone else had a suit made by him and could comment on his sttyling ability.

I am less concerned about styling details than about the overall cut. Being short and overweight, I want a tailor who is skilled at making the best of the bad shape I present him with. From the sounds of it, Sam Disano is one who tends to hide and flatter one's shape more than others who go for a more "natural" look. Then again, I was looking for discussion about whether that is the most appropriate option for someone like me. As I said, I was not satisfied with Ianni Bros in Macquaries Street (sadly, I found out today they have closed, one of the brothers having died) because their suit, although very comfortable, but lacked style. Again, Ianni Bros were expensive traditional tailors, who made suits for Rupert Murdoch and other notable gentlemen.

So, please don't assume you are talking to a total idiot, and I won't be aggressive in return.

Is AndrewRogers the same person as (former) Justice Andrew Rogers?

Cheers,

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should think not on the latter count, as he lists his occupation as "student". Though, stranger things have happened.

If he were, I should think his Honour would probably prefer not to be outed as such, in any event...

For the record, I was speaking to Shane Rochefort about their service - apparently he measures and cuts "in house" and then sends out to a handful of (elderly Italian) tailors to stitch. Some of the results looked pretty good.

Styling looked reasonably English, do I gather you're interested in something more Italian? And if so, Roman or Neapolitan?

sydney lawyer

Reaction score
Thanks for that. Since he is a student, he is obviously still learning how to communicate with people. He should show some more respect. I did not reflect on anyone's personal qualities. I just used a robust style in response to what I perceived to be an unhelpful post. The subsequent personal attacks on me were unwarranted.

Anyway, let's move on. Tell me more about Rochefort, which is just around the corner from me. Prices?

I also don't really understand the differences between the English, Roman and Neapolitan styling. Where can I learn about this and, more importantly, see examples?

ethandesu

Reaction score
This is hilarious!

I've never found you patronizing, Zegnagent..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads