• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Swim shorts that look like shorts but you can swim well in?

psychodealer

Reaction score
Hi guys. I know there are a bunch of brand who make shorts that can be used as swim shorts, like Outlier, Onia, and Orlebar Brown.

But does anyone know any brand that makes a pair of shorts that looks good like a pair of solid colored shorts, has mesh lining, and is made from stretch fabric? Preferably something cheap. Does anyone know anything like this existing?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That's basically Orlebar Brown.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Never really tried them but aren't they 100% polyamide? how stretchy are their shorts?

I don't remember the material, but it's a quick drying fabric. You have to have them be made of some kind of synthetic, otherwise, they'll take forever to dry.

The fabric isn't that stretchy. I wouldn't wear them out as my usual pair of shorts, but you can wear them a lunch spot after going for a swim. They're not swim shorts in the sense of Birdwell Beach Britches.

psychodealer

Reaction score
I don't remember the material, but it's a quick drying fabric. You have to have them be made of some kind of synthetic, otherwise, they'll take forever to dry.

The fabric isn't that stretchy. I wouldn't wear them out as my usual pair of shorts, but you can wear them a lunch spot after going for a swim. They're not swim shorts in the sense of Birdwell Beach Britches.
Thanks for introducing me to BBB! They look really good! Anything cheaper than them that looks fits tapered and stretches too? I would love to wear something like that.

Maybe I should get a pair of bearbottoms

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for introducing me to BBB! They look really good! Anything cheaper than them that looks fits tapered and stretches too? I would love to wear something like that.

Maybe I should get a pair of bearbottoms

I can't think of any stretchy swim shorts at the moment. All the ones I know feel like your regular woven fabrics.

I wear Orlebar Brown and Onia. I like the design of OB, but the Onias fit me better.

If you're wearing something matte and they're not cut like board shorts, you'll basically look like you're wearing normal shorts if you're putting on some kind of regular top. Like a polo shirt, popover, etc.

psychodealer

Reaction score
I can't think of any stretchy swim shorts at the moment. All the ones I know feel like your regular woven fabrics.

I wear Orlebar Brown and Onia. I like the design of OB, but the Onias fit me better.

If you're wearing something matte and they're not cut like board shorts, you'll basically look like you're wearing normal shorts if you're putting on some kind of regular top. Like a polo shirt, popover, etc.
I think I will be okay with even elastic bandwaisted shorts now. Lemme know if something comes to your mind!

By the way, I am a huge fan of your blog. It's really nice hearing advice from you!! A lot of what you post is way out of my price range, but I enjoy reading about them nevertheless :D

WSW

Reaction score
Orlebar Brown has a new model - the Jack - that I think uses stretchy materials instead of their standard fabric. It's the same pattern as the Bulldog. Might be worth a look

psychodealer

Reaction score
I
Orlebar Brown has a new model - the Jack - that I think uses stretchy materials instead of their standard fabric. It's the same pattern as the Bulldog. Might be worth a look
will look into it! Looks like it's 13%!! That's a lot. Onia seems like they have some stretch too.

I would buy it at $30-40 so if Barney's Warehouse brings back their extra 60% off I'd buy it. Anything stretch, good for swimming but tapered that isn't necessarily a pair of OB or Onias I can get in this price range?

I mainly want to swim and then chill on the beach.

edit:
bought this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQXOPK4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

psychodealer

Reaction score
Just received the Jack I got for $20. Awesome pair. Stretchy material and looks slim, with the waist being just the right size but could be tighter. I think I'm satisfied!

AlonsoMerino

Reaction score
hello, any input on the fit of Onia? I tend to wear a size 33 both in jeans and shorts, Onia only seems to have 32 and 34 so I dont know for which number I should go, there were a few on Century 21 with strech bands at a great discounts, does the brand go for a slimmer cut?

when I buy swim trunks with strech bands I tend to go for the smaller size but this is with surf brands that tend to have a larger cut not with high end brands.

emptym

Reaction score

psychodealer

Reaction score
hello, any input on the fit of Onia? I tend to wear a size 33 both in jeans and shorts, Onia only seems to have 32 and 34 so I dont know for which number I should go, there were a few on Century 21 with strech bands at a great discounts, does the brand go for a slimmer cut?

when I buy swim trunks with strech bands I tend to go for the smaller size but this is with surf brands that tend to have a larger cut not with high end brands.

I got the Charles in L and could’ve gone smaller. I’m usually 34 in pants. Go with a M.

jamie411

Reaction score
I have the Charles in M, and also tried the L. There was a big difference in size between them. I kept the M, but how well they fit you will probably come down to how big you are around the hips/seat. I have about a 35" waist, and the Mediums are snug when pulling over my hips, but otherwise fit well. The size Large were just baggy all around.

AlonsoMerino

Reaction score
I have the Charles in M, and also tried the L. There was a big difference in size between them. I kept the M, but how well they fit you will probably come down to how big you are around the hips/seat. I have about a 35" waist, and the Mediums are snug when pulling over my hips, but otherwise fit well. The size Large were just baggy all around.

thanks for the replys, those are some great details!

just to confirm, I generaly buy suits sized 40 and jeans & pants sized 33 in American Eagle, banana republic or Lucky but those jeans can strech a bit as well, because even though I have a slim body I do have wide hips for my body type, 96cm or almost 38cm when my taylor measured me.

do the charles model strech? I say this because the last shorts sized medium a bought didnt strech at all

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads