• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sweater vest - Do or don't ?

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
2 pics above were... distressing. Never wear a collar like that. I thought selbsttatig's first pic he posted was awesome.

I wear sweater vests on occasion. Usually under jackets, though not exclusively, and with no steadfast rules as to whether with trousers, chinos, or jeans. I very much enjoy them, though they're not particularly versatile. Basically, a nice option when the mood arises, similar in that way to cardigans... am I really the only person who sometimes just "feels like" the thing to do today is wear a sweater vest?

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Popping your collar is considered a no-no on SF. It's a bit feminine. Women tend to pop their collars or roll their cuffs out and over their sweater sleeves or pull the quarters of their shirts beyond and below their outer sweater.

Also, doesn't Tiger Beat and BOP copyright their photos?

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
^That, only more so given how large those collars actually are, particularly the 2nd one. It just looks goofy. I have a few Dolce&Gabanna dress shirts myself (extremely long collars), so I'm not opposed to the style of collar in general (some here, I'm sure, are), but you can't go doing things like that, lest you cross the line into smug-douche-who's-wearing-this-sweater-vest-thing-
ironically territory.

Reaction score
When I see a young man in a sweater vest over a white t-shirt, I think straightedge hardcore kid waiting for the firestorm to happen.

devin

Reaction score
I went to high school with a shirt/tie/slacks dress code. There were a few guys who rocked the sweater vest sometimes. It looked fine. I guess it stood out since I still remember, but not in a bad way. I agree with several posters who suggest that it's very much "image" based at the teen level, wrt what you can get away with. If you're a nerd (you'll know it), then don't do it, a sweater vest isn't going to help your cause. Otherwise, just wear it and if somebody calls you out just shrug or chuckle. For the record, I was not "cool" in high school, FWIW.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a couple in solid colours (charcoal; lemon), but in the sleeveless cardigan style (buttons). Then again, I am not getting any younger ...

jabreal00

Reaction score
It's a hard look to pull off. Whomever does it should be already known as a sharp dresser. I agree with one of the posters who wrote that it looks better slim cut on a thin person. Otherwise one ends up looking like the coach of Ohio State football team.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads