• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SWD Discussion Thread for Tailoring

true.to.size

Reaction score
@whorishconsumer, I was just at the Chelsea Housing Works. They put out "the best of fall," and I saw a number of 44/54 woolen jackets (more R than L, though). Might be worth checking out, though it will probably get picked over pretty quickly. Mostly in the $50 to $150 range.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@whorishconsumer, I was just at the Chelsea Housing Works. They put out "the best of fall," and I saw a number of 44/54 woolen jackets (more R than L, though). Might be worth checking out, though it will probably get picked over pretty quickly. Mostly in the $50 to $150 range.

Nice!

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What think we of this.

DCD29278-25D4-499D-9D68-ECDE1CFCA419.png
B9D7E3A7-3B38-4A33-AEA0-BDB7D36B6C3F.png

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nah dawg.

I worry you’re going way too fast personally for these to have a high success rate, both in fit and styling. Esp for online vintage shopping, which can be super idiosyncratic and vary so much. I would imagine there are lessons to learn from the first two you have on the way, but there’s no time to learn them at this pace. Just my 2c.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I worry you’re going way too fast personally for these to have a high success rate, both in fit and styling. Esp for online vintage shopping, which can be super idiosyncratic and vary so much. I would imagine there are lessons to learn from the first two you have on the way, but there’s no time to learn them at this pace. Just my 2c.
As someone with low impulse control, I agree.

If I'm very interested in an item, I'll put it on a list and look at it a couple weeks to a month later. Then I know the difference between "is this another dopamine hit?" or "hey I actually want/need(lol) this item".

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hard to judge the cut from the pic but that specific busyness of bicolor stripes over mottled grey conjure up a very strong dated vibe to me, you just don't see that kind of combos anymore. That being said... nobody outside of SF can possibly care and if you like it you like it. But do you know that you like it?

I've personally grown very fond of some of those vintage and virtually extinct heavyweight subtly striped and colored suiting fabrics (business attire stuff not 70s curtains stuff) that look pretty alien today but my appreciation stems partly from knowing how unusual they are.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just would say I wouldn’t really gamble vintage online in general unless I’m familiar with the fit

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'd offer that experiments are fine and well but be judicious otherwise you'll end up with a thrift shop in your closet .

on that note thrifting is a great way to survey product without the baggage of guessing , shipping costs , etc . plus if you want to take a flyer is usually cheaper , you could reasonably assume that most of the stuff you consider on the 'bay has come out of a thrift store anyways

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
haven't given a **** about how i dressed the past 2-3 years but this thread single handedly brought me back.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Definitely leaning in pretty strong, but so far of the 3 jackets purchased, 2 for $65, the other for $45, only one has been non-returnable. Shipping to and fro does become expensive, but I'm hoping that between these initial few, the above jacket and a trip to Crowley (and maybe Chelsea), I'll have had a good sampling. I also have a pretty good idea of my measurements at this point, or at least think I do.

As someone with low impulse control, I agree.

If I'm very interested in an item, I'll put it on a list and look at it a couple weeks to a month later. Then I know the difference between "is this another dopamine hit?" or "hey I actually want/need(lol) this item".

The impulse is very real.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got to say, CM from 2010 is not how I imagined this thread turning out... I went through a vintage tweed phase about then and absolutely nothing of what I bought was something I kept. It's very rare to find anything that fits and actually works with more contemporary aesthetics. I just wouldn't go there TBH.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads