• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sutor Mantellassi: discoloration

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took out these Sutors for an airing and noticed the discoloration and, where the broguings join the upper, the light line just around the edge, in places. I use shoe trees with these and also use a neutral cream. Any ideas what could have caused this and/if it can be rectified. Thanks any input.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That lightening along the brouguing is odd... any chance that the leather has, for lack of a better term, shrunk just a tiny bit? Have they been conditioned routinely? Seems like, as the leather aged, it pulled away a bit. Get a wax or colored cream and touch up those spots, let it sit then buff. Then polish the entire shoe- use conditioner too.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought about shrinkage as well, but it's strange that the discoloration doesn't follow the zig-zag pattern of the broquing edge.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Britalian
....and noticed the discoloration......the light line just around the edge.....also use a neutral cream.

That's what it is....a built-up of the neutral (white-ish) shoe cream.

Use a toothpick or a dental stick (metal might leave scratches) and poke all the old stuff out. Then use a wax polish (metal tins) in a matching colour and brush quite hard with a brush held at an angle. Even if there is a built-up, with a matching colour, it is not as visible as the white polish.

Use any polish sparingly.

satorstyle

Reaction score
Unless the line was there when you were wearing them I would conclude the leather has shrunk slightly. I have no idea how they were stored, but I would conclude they have lost some of the moisture in the leather. The perfect line pretty much proves the point, remember the leather under the stitched brogue edge has never had any finish applied so you are looking at new uncolored leather.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by satorstyle
Unless the line was there when you were wearing them I would conclude the leather has shrunk slightly. I have no idea how they were stored, but I would conclude they have lost some of the moisture in the leather. The perfect line pretty much proves the point, remember the leather under the stitched brogue edge has never had any finish applied so you are looking at new uncolored leather.

That's what I was thinking when I first posted- but as I thought further- wouldn't the edge where died meets undied be jagged?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads