1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Sushi

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Bouji, Sep 23, 2006.

1. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

anyone in or near san fernando valley must try out Taka Sushi on Van Nuys blvd between the freeway and ventura blvd.

it is the best sushi anywhere near there. and the owner there he and his wife are the nicest people.

2. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

Aww MAN! I need to try some of that whale bacon ASAP. How was it?

It was quite good, actually! A little bit tough and chewy, but very flavorful!

3. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

Is whale bacon belly meat, or is it just called that because of some purported resemblance to pork bacon in taste or appearance?

That's a very good question. As far as I could tell, it was simply prepared differently than the non-bacon whale sushi... perhaps it was "baconized" to give it more flavor? Excellent question that has inspired me to conduct further research on the subject...

4. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

How come no one mentioned geoduck sashimi? It's pure heaven.

5. carlhuber

carlhuber Senior member

The best sushi I've had, for my palate, was at a little place in Hawaii that was full of Japanese people. I LOVED those little red-tipped clam pieces. Don't remember the name of the restaurant, though...

Wednesday I took my wife back to the little place that just opened right up the road from us. I know it may be sacrilege to the stuck up purists, but I got their version of a "mexican roll" - crab, shrimp, spicy sauce, and a half dozen other flavorings. I don't know if I'd really consider it sushi, but it was darn tasty.

6. ratboycom

ratboycom Senior member

I have eaten Horse sashimi... it wasnt bad

Favorites
    Ika
    Ikura
    Ebi
    Kani Mayo
    Unagi
    FRESH tako

and as for Uni, I do not like it. Tastes like melty ear wax. It just hits your tongue and disolves... blech

7. cchen

cchen Senior member

I have eaten Horse sashimi... it wasnt bad

Favorites
    Ika
    Ikura
    Ebi
    Kani Mayo
    Unagi
    FRESH tako

and as for Uni, I do not like it. Tastes like melty ear wax. It just hits your tongue and disolves... blech

How do you know what melty ear wax tastes like?

8. ratboycom

ratboycom Senior member

How do you know what melty ear wax tastes like?

Shit you know I knew someone would ask about that...
    Well, I just thought it tasted bitter and waxy and the color is somewhat like earwax (that and I was making a partial refference to Futurama)