• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Super 130 Fabric - Too Delicate For General Office Wear?

Super 130 Fabric - Too Delicate For General Office Wear?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 100.0%

• Total voters

drew959

Reaction score
Im looking at getting a new suit in super 130 fabric. Im concerned is it seems very lightweight compared to my previous buy. I have at the moment a H&S Super 100 approx 300gm weight which i like the feel of.

The fabric im considering is scabal super 130 280gm weight. The tailor assured me the weave will ensure it is just as hard wearing as the H&S super 100 but im not 100% sure. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it will be ok. I have several suits made in Scabal 130 and they hold up well

Xenon

Reaction score
First of all Scabal has an excellent reputation and offer cloths of very high quality in any grade.

Secondly 280gm weight is certainly not light weight and should not impose the slightest issue with any maker/supplier let alone Scabal.

Lastly super 130 is pretty much the standard grade for most quality suppliers now. You would probably have a tougher time sourcing cloth of lower supers . A properly made super 130 can be very hard wearing in regular rotation. I have suits in super 150 in regular rotation that are in the 240 gm weight that are quite hard wearing. Its all in the weaver.

All in all you should not give this concern any more thought if you really like the cloth.

drew959

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I was surprised at how lightweight it was compared to my first suit.

I did search old threads and quite a few comments were made that super 120, 130 etc are tissue paper, only for special occaisons, will not drape as well as a heavier cloth, will not last for more than a few years and for durability never buy less than 300+ gram cloth.

Was this incorrect or has recent improvements in weaving made super 130 better quality? Or is it because Scabal is just better quality?

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is the cloth from the Eton Super 130's range?
This is a very good cloth, has good structure, body and tailors well. Delivered one this week and thought it was more substantial than a 100's. There are good and bad cloths in every category, Eton is one of the better 130's at that weight.

That's my opinion of the cloth from my experience. The next factor is how you wear and handle your clothes. There is a difference from client to client of how well a cloth performs. If your are hard on your clothes, perspire easily or clean them too much with a poor dry cleaner your results will vary.

drew959

Reaction score
Yes it is from the Eton range. Appreciate the comments, its quite a big purchase as the cloth is very expensive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads