• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suits Without Ties

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
I probably wear a suit with a tie only 10% of the time I wear a suit. And 0% if you take out interview or more formal situations. I always wear a pocket square, though. I rarely do an BD collar with it. I wear my BD's, OC or otherwise, mostly with sportcoats or under sweaters. Mostly that's when I wear wide spread or cutaway collars, e.g. RLPL Keaton.

dizzhizz

Reaction score
i only do this when i'm getting drunk after work. but at the office place, ties are a must.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Apparently not if you're phat guido

eh mr guido is an excpeption has attitude enough to pull it off ...

I think my impression is mostly tainted by the guys that do it around the office ... it just looks slobbish... the collars are dissapearing under the suit, the shirt is half un-tucked, square toed shoes... you get the idea

and from my experience herringbone shirts have collars that are really suited to going without a tie ... meaning they stand up nice and straight, especially those with two collar buttons

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I made a mistake in the voting...

I think no tie looks good with a sports jacket, but not so much with a suit (especially a more business-like suit).

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do it rarely in the winter, but more so in the summer when I can wear a tan linen suit with no tie.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by izlat
^^ @ PG I generally like the *Milano* look (if I may call it): solid dark suit, formal shoes + no socks and feel comfortable doing this on some occasions. Your first photo took me by surprise a bit - I just wonder if you really feel natural / comfortable with your gray windowpane and no socks?
- I actually do the no sock look a lot in warmer climes.. From a few months ago with some friends, I walked of plane from Shanghai to Italian restaurant in Sydney.. No problems..
L1040763.jpg
L1040766.jpg
Again with navy cotton s/coat & navy cotton pants w blue loafers
L1050582W.jpg
L1050580W.jpg
& it's Friday tomorrow, no meetings, tropical Singapore weather.. Guess what I won't be wearing..

awxg

Reaction score
Does anyone wear a tie with a seersucker? It feels weird with even a knit tie...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads