• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suits Without Ties

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The people who do this and cary it off usually look like they started the day with a tie on, and took it off later. So, perhaps it's something that looks better in the afternoon or evening rather than the morning?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf

I just feel kinda cold at the neck.

Same here. I've seen others look okay sans tie and suit, but I prefer a tie.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I tend to shy away from ties so +1 for the look I guess.

Oh **** I have like 7 suits! Where the **** did these bastards come from!

Edit: I also have over 10 ties all rolled up including some pretty pimpish Versace silk ones.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've done it a few times. However, I think it's kind of pointless as one may as well wear a tie if they're going to wear a suit. But of course it depends on the moment and mood.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I do it occasionally when I travel. It sort of makes me feel like a guy who just left a hooker asleep in his hotel, slunked out without paying her, and is one his way home to lie to his wife about where he has been.

I see. So you know how this feels.

In the movies, hookers all require payment in advance.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
a suit without a tie just looks weird to me ... but I wouldn't call someone a douchebag for doing it ...

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I do it occasionally when I travel. It sort of makes me feel like a guy who just left a hooker asleep in his hotel, slunked out without paying her, and is one his way home to lie to his wife about where he has been.

This picturesque quote has tipped the scales in favor of me trying it.
So, do you do the pocket square?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
This picturesque quote has tipped the scales in favor of me trying it.
So, do you do the pocket square?

Yeah, I think it looks more rakishly guilty that way. Like you need it in case you spot a lipstick mark you missed, and need to wipe it away quickly.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
In the movies, hookers all require payment in advance.

And in real life!

As to suits without ties, I think it can work pretty well with "sporty," summery suits. For example, next up on my wish list from my buddies in Kowloon is a cream or tan suit in a summer-weight wool with patch pockets. That will be a suit that I could comfortably wear with an open necked shirt.

As to a suit appropriate to conservative business dress, wearing one with an open collar is nothing I would ever wish to attempt. In threads of this sort before, I have noted that there are men who can pull off this look. They are few and far between and are usually the sort of men who would look very good no matter what they are wearing.

I am become less and less fond of wearing even an odd jacket without a tie or ascot these days.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to do it more often.. So why do we have to wear a tie? Well, I do like wearing ties.. But then in SIN it is acceptable to wear no tie (& SS shirts), so I will wear a tie as much as possible. Had drinks with colleagues last night & one of them made a comment that they feel hot just seeing me in a tie/coat & wondered how I do it with the heat & humidity.. I said I don't sleep & hang-upside down in my hotel room. Can't remember which poster said it has to be a OCBD.. Pah! that's is too Silicon Valley CEO.. As long as the shirt especially the collar fits & sits under the lapel, your half way there, next is SF 101. Make sure everything fits & you have the proportions & balance in check. Finally think like a douche but not act like a manouche! Just for fun here are some pics:
L1060562.jpg
L1060566.jpg
L1060380W.jpg
L1060374W.jpg
Although I wore white jeans with this, I would glady wear the matching pant
L1030696.jpg
L1030671.jpg
L1030760.jpg

izlat

Reaction score
^^ @ PG

I generally like the *Milano* look (if I may call it): solid dark suit, formal shoes + no socks and feel comfortable doing this on some occasions. Your first photo took me by surprise a bit - I just wonder if you really feel natural / comfortable with your gray windowpane and no socks?

As for the no tie - I seem to do this 50% of the time I wear a suit (which is not too often). Although I cannot explain the *rules*, some times it just looks good, and others - like something is missing. If I feel uncomfortable - I slap a tie on
smile.gif

Cheers

July

Reaction score
I am an adamant supporter of tie-less hookers.

The suit thing is ok with a vest.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow... I guess I am a douche. Because today, I am wearing a dark grey herringbone suit, pink socks, brown wingtips, and a white and pink candystriped shirt (not BD)... and to top it off, a butter yellow pocket square.

In my defense, I am attending a charity poker tournament tonight, and have aviators for that purpose. So, while when I woke up, I did think to myself "I'll skip the tie today," if anyone calls me on it, I'm just reinterpreting Fear and Loathing.

Maybe I'll post a photo when I get home so you guys can delight even more fully in my shame.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads