• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suits for groom and groomsmen

hamm23

Reaction score
I'm getting married in June and have decided to go with suits instead of tuxs for myself and my groomsmen. Most likely I'll be getting plain black but it's still up in the air. I'm trying to figure out where we can go to get decent fitting suits of moderate quality for a reasonable price. We're all either in college or fresh out so money is an issue. Please through out some recommendations and remember that we are in Wisconsin and Minnesota so shopping options are somewhat limited.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hamm23
We're all either in college or fresh out so money is an issue.

Here is an idea ... how bout you don't get married and go have some fun.

DoTheGrownup

Reaction score
we are in Wisconsin and Minnesota so shopping options are somewhat limited.

I live in Minnesota and I would hardly say your options are limited. Nordstrom Rack at the MOA and Saks Off 5th in downtown Mpls have some affordable options, and there's always Nieman Marcus if money is no object and you are prepared to pay cash (or AMEX). The regular Nordstrom at MOA can have some decent deals too.

I wore a navy blue suit at my wedding and let the groomsmen wear whatever suit they wanted. A couple of them only had black suits and I would hardly say it ruined the occasion. I wore a silver tie and bought each of the groomsmen a different tie in shades of light blue. We all wore white shirts and I thought we looked pretty damn good.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, why did you decide to eschew the tuxes?

hamm23

Reaction score
From what I'm used to the options here in the twin cities are amazing but nothing compared to other larger cities, I was just throwing that out there. Grey would be a nice option, maybe I'll look into that. I'm still not sure where to go though, Nordstrom rack would be nice but I'll need to be able to find 8 of the same suit so that could be an issue

hamm23

Reaction score
actually 8, I did not count myself. It is a ton of people but that's how it worked out.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NakedYoga
Out of curiosity, why did you decide to eschew the tuxes?

Good sense. Unless the wedding is in the evening and few are it is a gross faux pas however common in the US.

DoTheGrownup

Reaction score
From what I'm used to the options here in the twin cities are amazing but nothing compared to other larger cities, I was just throwing that out there. Grey would be a nice option, maybe I'll look into that. I'm still not sure where to go though, Nordstrom rack would be nice but I'll need to be able to find 8 of the same suit so that could be an issue

Finding 8 of the same suit will probably be difficult in any B&M store, and then they will all need to be tailored.

If you really want to do it on the cheap, check out the Merona Premium suits at Target. I bought one when a friend asked me to wear a black suit in his wedding, and it has held up pretty well. Since then I've worn it to funerals and night clubs, and I only paid about $150 for it. Just make sure you get the "Premium" model.

Otherwise, mail order might be a good option. Lands End might be a good place to start.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DoTheGrownup
Finding 8 of the same suit will probably be difficult in any B&M store, and then they will all need to be tailored. If you really want to do it on the cheap, check out the Merona Premium suits at Target. I bought one when a friend asked me to wear a black suit in his wedding, and it has held up pretty well. Since then I've worn it to funerals and night clubs, and I only paid about $150 for it. Just make sure you get the "Premium" model. Otherwise, mail order might be a good option. Lands End might be a good place to start.
The Merona suit at target isn't too bad. Fabric is ok and construction seems solid for the price, fused of course. Definitely as good or better than you'll get at most B&M shops for 2-3 times the price. My only gripe was the pants were a little large/not slim. Also make sure that you get the Premium 100% wool suit. The blend is pure garbage. Another fairly inexpensive option is the Alfani Red Label at Macy's. Nice slim cut with modern touches like narrower lapels and dual vents. I always have trouble finding jackets or matching pants in my size though... Good luck!

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about having a J-Crew wedding?
smile.gif
Their grey suits are pretty awesome, and you guys would look pretty slick in those. Plus you could also get the dresses from the same place.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrianVarick
What about having a J-Crew wedding?
smile.gif
Their grey suits are pretty awesome, and you guys would look pretty slick in those. Plus you could also get the dresses from the same place.

think those J. Crew suits are tad expensive. For pretty much the same price you could pretty much get TaT suits made for each groomsman.... Also my girlfriend has a bridesmaid dress from J. Crew for a wedding in the spring and she's not terribly pleased by it. But that's just one dress.

DoTheGrownup

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
The Merona suit at target isn't too bad. Fabric is ok and construction seems solid for the price, fused of course. Definitely as good or better than you'll get at most B&M shops for 2-3 times the price. My only gripe was the pants were a little large/not slim.

Also make sure that you get the Premium 100% wool suit. The blend is pure garbage.

The 100% wool suits are the ones tagged as "Premium". The ones tagged as just Merona are a ****** poly blend.

H & M might be another decent option; like Target and Alfani, they also come in separates, which can be convenient for this type of purchase.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads