• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit tailor in Kuala Lumpur

amrad

Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for a suit tailor in Kuala Lumpur? I'm looking for something in the low-mid pricing range, perhaps something equivalent to Jantzen for shirts. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kamali
I would recoomend that you visit Cazzara Bespoke Tailor, 246, 1st Floor, Ampang Park, Jalan Ampang, 50450 Kuala Lumpur and this outlet is owned by the bespoke tailor himself, AZMAN and his mobile nr is 006 012 693 3059.

Based upon my own experience, Azman is one the finest bespoke tailors in this part of the world.Azman was trained at the world renowned,Cutler Academy in London in the early 70's and worked in London for a couple of years after graduation with the top notch bespoke tailors at Saville Row,London before moving back to Malaysia.

I made my suits,pants and shirts here and I am quite satisfied up to now.The price he charged is quite reasonable and perhaps, considered a bargain for the Westerners.

Kamali, does Azman do full-canvassed suits and if so how much?
'
OP, here is a good lead in KL:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?p=2677900

kamali

Reaction score
Svenn, Azman does full canvassing and the price starts from USD 350

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kamali
Svenn, Azman does full canvassing and the price starts from USD 350
Kamali, you've only posted 4 posts on styleforum and each was plug for this Azman fellow, and you did a similar thing on AskAndy. I find it hard to believe then that you know what full canvassing is, in fact many tailors in Asia are quite willing to say they do it when actually they don't. I could be wrong, giving you the benefit of the doubt, so please elaborate in detail if you want any other members here to believe you.

kamali

Reaction score
Svenn, I understand your concern.Please let me clarify.The suit I comissioned recently was fully fused and the material used for fusing is imported from Germany.According to Azman, a fully canvassed suit, with the extra layer and hand stiched all round will cost double the fused suits, to give you a rough idea.He does get some customers who wanted a fully canvassed suits but they normally bring along the pricey woolen fabric with them as for instance from E.Zegna,Loro Piana and Cerruti etc. although he can get hold of the pricey Vicuna fabrics upon customer request. It all boils down to the customer budget and the best approach would be to discuss with him and tell him exactly what you want if you ever have the opportunity to fly off to Kuala Lumpur.His oulet is just the opposite of the Petronas Twin Towers.One more thing, he does not overpromised his customers and he does not believe in making a suit within 24 or 48 hours as seem to be the practice in Bangkok.

georgekok_uk

Reaction score
I have made many suits and shirts in Kuala Lumpur, including a few bespoke. The best tailor in KL, in my opinion, is my tailor Andrew. He was recommended to me 5 years ago by my boss while I was working in Kuala Lumpur. He's a certified tailor with many years experience including stints in London and Singapore. His knowledge and skills in good tailoring far exceeded my expectations. His prices are extremely reasonable as well. This is an article about him & his tailor shop --> best tailor in KL. He's a friendly and very honest guy too. Give him a call.
smile.gif

Gil Ganyon

Reaction score
Hi there, I am so interested with this tailor guy.
But I have a question. Does this tailor make a suit for me based on an example, such as photos from fashion show etc?
cuz I found this amazing looking suits online and I really want to make the exact thing but I can't find it on store.

is the tailor able to copy the design and make it for me?

terrorsquad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can visit the Malaysian version of SF in thekerbau.com.Here you can gather tonnes of information on Malaysian and Singaporean tailors.

just go to Ah Loke tailor in KL and he will sort you out if your looking for a fully canvassed suit.

Christopherl

Reaction score
Try Saujana Mens Wear in Jalan Raja Chulan.

They are the best I've came across so far. Awesome designs for shirts, perfect fitting suits. They have all the material you need, from moderate to the finest in the world.

Btw, even Jimmy Choo makes his suits there! Well, I trust them alot as the world famous designer makes his suits from them, so means their design must be good, which makes me really confident when i wear their clothes.

terrorsquad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try Saujana Mens Wear in Jalan Raja Chulan.

They are the best I've came across so far. Awesome designs for shirts, perfect fitting suits. They have all the material you need, from moderate to the finest in the world.

Btw, even Jimmy Choo makes his suits there! Well, I trust them alot as the world famous designer makes his suits from them, so means their design must be good, which makes me really confident when i wear their clothes.
Doesnt Jimmy Choo make his suits in Lords Tailor?

Do enlighten us what fabrics this Saujana Mens wear carries; I am intrigued on the fact that you say he carries the finest cloths in the world.

p.henrik

Reaction score

You can visit the Malaysian version of SF in thekerbau.com.Here you can gather tonnes of information on Malaysian and Singaporean tailors.
just go to Ah Loke tailor in KL and he will sort you out if your looking for a fully canvassed suit.

+1 on Ah Loke. Using him regularly, search for "Malaysian bespoke" here and you will see a long thread about him. Keep in mind that a fully canvassed suit from Ah Loke will take up to 2 months to complete. Apparently he only has one guy he contracts the canvass stitching to. It also adds about 50% on the price. I think it's still very good value though.

reuben

Reaction score
I have tried a few tailors in kuala lumpur and its suburbs like PJ, Subang Jaya and Shah Alam...for shirts i would recommend De Catano at Summit shopping mall USJ. The boss there is John and he can speak a smattering of English although cantonese is his mother tongue. He is in his mid forties and very good at cutting...his shirts are fitting and so are his trousers...i have yet to try his suit but i asked him if he did full canvassing...he says he outsources his canvassing to a 60 yr old experienced hand by the nickname of "fei kei Lam" or in direct translation " aeroplane Lam" who is a respected figure in doing canvassing in the tailoring fraternity in Kuala lumpur...

De catano shirts are double padded on the collar and wrists with your own selection of padding fabric...they also do funky folded button lines on request.

reuben

Reaction score
By the way De Catano carry Holland and Sherry, Hunt and Winterbotham, Cerrutti, Vitale Barberis Canonico as well as Dormeuil...my favourite is the Hunt and Winterbotham because their super 130 s line is smooth and has a few pinstripes tht are of my favourite design and colour...as for shirt fabrics they have Thomas Mason, Soktas, etc...

reuben

Reaction score
But to be fair to all, I also recommend Espilo at the infamous Plaza Masalam in Shah Alam. Joe and Mike are the two proprietors there and i must say their choice of fabric is wide and vast. From scabal to dormeuil to canali to zegna to cerutti, they offer almost the top of the range. Their cutting is sharp and elegant but not as fitting as that of De Catano Summit Usj. They tend to belong slightly to the old school where cutting is concerned, as they are rather generous with their inseams and also shirt shoulder and arm width...
I had a suit made there but apparently they dun do canvassed suits evwn when asked...their suit is acceptable yet lacking the slim silhouette kind of look...i

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads