• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Jacket Shoulders

JoeStyles

Reaction score
I'm doing online made to measure and I need some advice on shoulder width. Would you increase/decrease shoulder width? If so, how much? (Btw, I see the huge collar gap and am having this jacket remade partly because of that.) Thanks!

JoeStyles

Reaction score
Btw I wear 38 off the rack. The shoulder measurement for this jacket is 18.25". Does anyone know the range of shoulder widths for a slim fit 38 jacket?

Jhors2

Reaction score
17.5 - 18.25 is typical for 38R, and I mean TYPICAL, however you can see things wildly outside of that since the size is just a chest measurement really. 20 ish inches for pit to pit typically. Looks like you MAY need a half inch smaller but kind of difficult to say without a point of reference.

Ivar

Reaction score
What do you mean "having this jacket remade"? Sorry to be blunt, but if that's the first offering from the MTM provider, they don't deserve your custom ...

Last edited:

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Impossible to tell with pic you gave, but that jacket looks to be one size too big full stop. Someone botched the measurements perhaps (if online service, I have to include the possibility that you botched your own measurements).

It is common when a chest measurement is made, they add 4" and then that is the jacket size. This works with most people but not all people.

A really cheap MTM operation would simply scale the shoulders according to a rule of thumb and then the sleeves and waist would be fitted according to your measurements.

It seems they did not work the jacket for your armholes and bicep size either, and the shoulders were no doubt generic according to some design rules they go by.

Is this a disaster? By Styleforum standards - yes. By general world standards, you will get by and the suit is serviceable. It depends whether you want to be in the 95% or the 5% that really go that extra yard.

If the latter, get your money back and explore RTW options if high class bespoke is beyond your means (monetarily or location).

Last edited:

JoeStyles

Reaction score
Ivar, The way I see it is that it might take a couple trials to get something that works.

Klobber - this is also a disaster by my standards! But I know I botched the chest measurement since the chest on this jacket is 43.75" and when I measure my chest it's 38".... I will be asking to have the chest taken in by 2.75" (which might be contributing to the collar gap). I have been seriously frustrated by RTW..being short and muscular means pant rises are too long, or pants just don't fit. Also means short jackets are at least an inch too long.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the jacket was sitting properly on your chest and neck the shoulders would be OK, perhaps even narrow. Shoulder measurement is not the wrong thing about that jacket - maybe you should ask in the tailors' thread.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads