• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Jacket measures and how they relate to fit

Drez

Reaction score
So I recently had a suit made to measure and then further tailored to a point where I was finally happy with the result. This naturally gave me the itch to alter a few other articles to attain the same level of fit.

Enter an OTR Hickey Freeman blazer I have. I checked the measures and was startled to find that they match my new well fitting jacket fairly close.

My Tailored made to measure jacket is:
44" Chest, 40" Waist, 25.5" Sleeves and 30" Length 18.75" Shoulder. Fit IMO is perfect.
My HF OTR blazer is:
44" Chest, 40" Waist, 25" Sleeves and 32" Length 19" Shoulder and feels a bit baggy/boxy to the point I thought I would be taking an inch out of the chest and 2 out of the waist...I knew it was too long but I understand that's hard to alter and a result of my strange dimensions (I'm 6" and for some reason still need a short jacket?!?) but the other measures are pretty darn close.

Can this be altered to give a similar fit and if so from where? Am I just dealing with a different cut that I'll need to live with. Moreover is this an unseen advantage to made to measure, that the cut goes beyond a few standard measures and gives an overall better fit when all is said and done?

Thanks

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A two-inch difference in length (30 inches vs. 32 inches) isn’t “fairly close.” Shortening a jacket by two inches will likely throw off the pocket and button positions way too much.

However, I suggest posting your question to the tailoring thread:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/265924/...-and-alteration-suggestions/5355#post_7566161
If you don’t get an answer within a couple of days you might try posting to the Noodles’ Good-Natured Advice thread:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/375309/noodles-good-natured-advice-thread/16245#post_7571659

In general, it’s usually not a good idea to start a new thread just to ask a question like this. Such posts will often receive no responses.

Cheers,

Ac

Drez

Reaction score
I know the length is probably tough luck, I mentioned I was aware of that it, it was the other measures I was boggled by...1/4" variance on shoulder, none of chest and waist and yet fit feels off by as much as a full off the rack size diff (ie 40 vs 42)

Thanks for the tip. Still figuring out the sub-forum format on these boards vs other forums.

HughJ

Reaction score
There are more factors at play than the measurements you've provided. The construction alone could make 2 jackets appear vastly different. Probably best to move on from the jacket.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads