• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Fit Critique Thread

OffTheRack

Reaction score
Can we get a pinned "Critique My Suit Fit" thread? It would be geared more toward noobs, interested expressly in fit questions, as opposed to the WAYWRN thread with engages in fit critique, but also on everything else in the ensemble, and isn't even necessarily for suits. Also, I posted these in WAYWRN earlier, but it didn't really seem like the right place, and I didn't get a response.

It seems like there's a new thread started for a suit critique every time, and I feel bad starting another one, but I'm hoping this can become a thread for anyone to post suit fit/pic questions. Anyway, please critique this fit. Sorry about the pictures being a little dark.

DSCN1443.JPG
DSCN1444.JPG
DSCN1445.JPG

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is a good idea, i'm actaully surprised we don't have one yet considering how many pop up on a daily basis. For you the jacket look like a short and you may need a regular or, a ragular when you need a long. The sleeves are a bit short and the body as well.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jacket length looks just fine, but it looks like something is going on with the break in your trousers.

Martin Stall

Reaction score
That looks like it needs a few tweaks. The jacket length is on the short side, the back is too wide, the sleeve pitch is too far to the front, and the trouser balance is off.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OffTheRack
Anyway, please critique this fit.

- good length
- good button stance
- good shoulder width, but a little square and stiff for my taste
- sleeve pitch does not match your arm angle *
- upper back behind neck has some slack, needs a little adjustment
- trousers hang funny in the back

* some things may not be worth the $ to fix

rob

Reaction score
I wonder if he may be standing a little stiffly, particularly in the legs. I find myself doing that when I do the mirror checkout.

Rob

saxmachine777

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rob
I wonder if he may be standing a little stiffly, particularly in the legs. I find myself doing that when I do the mirror checkout.

Rob

Definitely. Generally good fit. I think Jacket length is fine, though minor back issues exist, and it's true about the sleeve pitch (also true that it may not be worth the dough to rectify).

However: Most/all of the trouser drape problems may be due to the aggressive knee lock going on. Unlocked, it may fall into place.

All in all, strong start with minor, realistic alterations.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me the suit looks good, except for a little extra material on the back.

OffTheRack

Reaction score
Thanks all for the pointers. The differing views on the length are interesting. Seems like an area that often has disagreement on the forum. I appreciate the comments on the sleeve pitch. I'm definitely not familiar with that aspect of a suit and would appreciate some more info on it. What would such an alteration entail?

I did notice the extra room in the back after I took the pictures. Aside from trusting your tailor or photos, how would you make sure the back is correct at the store?

I'll try to loosen up in the knees to see if that helps the pants.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
the issue on length, i think, is twofold:

- the traditionalists will view this as too short, and by that standard, it is (marginally). for a modern cut, though, the length is fine. the jacket nicely bisects your body, so the end result is symmetrical -- it isn't as though you're getting into miniskirt territory. also, it is quite clear that it adequately covers your rear.

- because the skirt balloons out a tad around your belly, the suit looks wider overall than it should (your pockets end almost at the same position of your shoulders -- this is not a good thing). this raises the center of gravity of the jacket, which then makes it look very slightly short because of lack of balance

suggested fix: trim down the suit in the bottom third / lower belly (have your tailor work on the side seams) and stand straighter without the slouch, and magically, the length will suddenly look quite appropriate.

lilmann40

Reaction score
so I went to a couple different stores and just tried on every different brand jacket they had (in size)...can you guys tell me what you think of each and which one fits best. They'll be A-E: (D has 3 pics...) Basically, this is my first suit and am going for fit more than a certain color/pattern...I ended up buying E, but it does seem to big, especially compared to B and D, which are the ones I feel fit the best. A:
4483540766_467c1435da.jpg
B:
4483541386_5d9676cc02.jpg
C:
4483536482_b9c4d7716d.jpg
D:
4482891111_261d699a1f.jpg
4482898903_1628851b0a.jpg
4483547588_372d3f65ab.jpg
E:
4483535504_ca488dbb2d.jpg

Ammanas

Reaction score
haha, i was going to say something about that in the 'college student interview suit' thread. no, you never button the last button.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads