• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit critiques needed (pic)- can't figure out what's wrong

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
The suit jacket doesn't look that bad. I don't think you have worn suit jackets much and are not used to or very experienced to know how it should feel or look.
The correct term is roped shoulder, not rolled shoulder.
The waist can be altered and made larger if you feel it is tight.
Have your tailor take in the jacket about 1/2" at the top of the center seam where the collar meets the back. That should make the upper body feel better.
From your statements I wonder if you thought the look would be different. You may have wanted a different silhouette than this.
Ignore comments like " looks like a nightlife suit". It's just an opinion.

^
the professional has spoken.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The mid-section is the area of concern, correct? It might be as much a body image issue (e.g., diet and exercise) as the suit itself. It seems the trouble with the suit is mostly the design. No pocket flaps would have been better. At this point, it might be possible to have the size of the flaps reduced. A more colorful tie would move the eye upward.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
hard to tell because you are at an angle. face fore ward, dont slouch but not at attention. front and back view please.
you have a right low shoulder.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
hard to tell because you are at an angle. face fore ward, dont slouch but not at attention. front and back view please. you have a right low shoulder.
Wow, that's impressive that you noticed that! My right shoulder actually does slump because I was involved in boxing a while back (another reason not to do that sport). I got a whole bunch of better pictures here now. Anyone please let me know all your thoughts. Is the coat too long? On the final picture where I'm sitting down, is that a normal tightness on my shoulders? It feels really tight, but in that pic it looks fine. In the standing pics, I have a large curve in my back where I stick my stomach out too much- can I remedy that with a tightening below the waistline? the whole suit looks likes it needs to be ironed?
suitcut-1.jpg
suitcut2.jpg

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Why do you say something is wrong? You have a well cut, nicely styled suit.

If I was going to adjust anything I would let out the underarm 1/2" on the side panel and reduce the back at the blades thru the shoulder. That would clean that area and give you some more movement. Take in the center back 1/4" double at the neck and raise the collar almost 3/4". You seem to have a hollow between the shoulder blades, would reshape the seam there. Jacket is not too long. Do not go shorter.
It is a nice suit, wear it and enjoy it. It looks good.

oroy38

Reaction score
Much better job with the tie.

With sleeves that short, we should see some shirt cuffs! Also, I recommend only buttoning the middle button, as it looks like the lapel wants to roll to the 2. Overall, an excellent looking suit. I'm envious haha.

up1bin

Reaction score
The waist suppression seems a little bit on the severe side. Or is this how a jacket should fit?

softbakedgoods

Reaction score
The area between the shoulder blade might need some tailoring if that is your natural posture. But overall, the suit fits you perfect. It is a slim and modern look that will definitely make you stand out from the rest.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Why do you say something is wrong? You have a well cut, nicely styled suit. If I was going to adjust anything I would let out the underarm 1/2" on the side panel and reduce the back at the blades thru the shoulder. That would clean that area and give you some more movement. Take in the center back 1/4" double at the neck and raise the collar almost 3/4". You seem to have a hollow between the shoulder blades, would reshape the seam there. Jacket is not too long. Do not go shorter. It is a nice suit, wear it and enjoy it. It looks good.
thanks despos and oroy, i am happier with the suit so long as i can get the tie and shirt collar looking nice (difficult to do and they seem so slip into sloppiness over every few minutes). Plus i really do need to button that top button, the suit was designed to have just one buttoned but it wasn't cut good enough for that - it doesn't lay flat on my chest if i do that. so i'm not sure of your tailoring terminology Despos, but you're saying i should have my tailor add some cloth in the armpit and then bring the center up by my neck closer together (by which you mean cutting the seam, snipping the cloth, then resewing together) ? I'm hoping the latter will suck the suit onto my chest better, right? I have a hollow there because of my lordosis- exaggerated swing in the lower back. I can't believe you guys think the jacket is the right length- the tailor actually originally had it 1 inch longer, but i though it looked like a dress and had it cut up. I'll take your advice though and not mess with that. I want to show more collar on my dress shirt but I was never able to find dress shirts with sleeves to match my lanky arms. Can tailors take off the current collars, find matching cloth, and resew longer ones on? I'd say i need at least an extra inch of collar?

VacheronMD

Reaction score
It is a very nice suit, like everyone said, sleeves are a little short, and make sure the back of the suit doesn't have horizontal lines, or it was taken in too much, take out a slight bit, other than that, very nice suit. Much better than that fat kid posted a week ago of himself.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, does the suit currently look like it needs an ironing? should I spray starch on it too while I iron?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads