• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit care

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have recently dramatically improved the quality and number of my suits. I also have a new job which involves wearing a suit much more often. I'd also like to improve my suit-care habits...

I know the basics: brush the suit as often as possible, don't wear it two days in a row, but let it hang, steam once in a while, dry-clean as infrequently as possible.

I have two more specific questions.

1/ What are your steaming habits? I use the Whirlpool Prêt-à -porter apparel and have so far steamed suits after every wear (which is once a week in my case), but I am starting to think that this might be too often.

2/ How do you deal with the pant crease? I am a bit anal about this and have difficulty coping with the fact that simply hanging the suit will not make the crease as sharp as it could be, especially in the backseat area where it fades fast (steaming the suit so often actually seems to make it worse). But I cannot really picture myself pressing the pants every 2 or 3 wearing. Is there no other option? And in that case, do you use a valet pant press?

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Come on guys, doesn't anybody care for his suits?
tounge.gif

CharlestonBows

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Étienne
2/ How do you deal with the pant crease? I am a bit anal about this and have difficulty coping with the fact that simply hanging the suit will not make the crease as sharp as it could be, especially in the backseat area where it fades fast (steaming the suit so often actually seems to make it worse). But I cannot really picture myself pressing the pants every 2 or 3 wearing. Is there no other option? And in that case, do you use a valet pant press?

Simple solution from Corby. I love mine.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Étienne
But I cannot really picture myself pressing the pants every 2 or 3 wearing. Is there no other option? And in that case, do you use a valet pant press?

I press mine after or prior to each wearing with an iron and a pressing cloth.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've found that hanging trousers by their cuffs minimizes wrinkles in most fabrics.

no75001.gif

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yep, I second the motion for a Corby trouser press. Mine has lasted several years and is still going strong, even after two home-moves. Also, I recommend a small travel steamer be added to your suit care toolbox-- good for getting the wrinkles out of the trouser crotch and other areas the Corby might not hit as well.

I assume you're using either trouser-clip hangers (so the pant hangs full length, suspended from the cuffs/ hem as tomosso illustrated) or the "savile row fold" on a smooth trouser bar, right?

Can you explain how the pret a porter works? Does that thing create steam by plugging it in and adding water? Does it use anything else besides steam (scent, etc.?) If it's anything but pure steam, it would concern me for use on your tailored clothing.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
or the "savile row fold" on a smooth trouser bar, right?
I was simply folding them, I'll try to use the SR fold from now on. Hanging them from the cuffs would be difficult. I am tall and my pants are long, I did not buy my cupboards with that in mind and have limited space for long garments, which is taken by various coats and formal wear.

Can you explain how the pret a porter works? Does that thing create steam by plugging it in and adding water? Does it use anything else besides steam (scent, etc.?) If it's anything but pure steam, it would concern me for use on your tailored clothing.
It's pure steam, from demineralized water. The cycle is about 30 minutes, and from what I hear the steam is present for the first 5-10 minutes or so, the rest of the time is a gentle drying.

Anyway, for the crease I'll simply have to get a good pant press, suck it up and press as often as possible (not sure I'll be able to constrain myself to press after every wearing).

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I generally pop the pants in the press when they look like they need it-- not sure it is actually after every wearing. come to think of it, when i decide on clothing to wear the next day, i give the trousers a look to see if they need pressing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads