• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit brands with higher armholes?

Satorialist

Reaction score
With so many mens suiting brands, finding the "right" suit is an overwhelming process; and not living in a major metropolitan area is hampering my search. I badly need recommendations to form a short-list of brands/designers to focus on...

What I'm looking for: a slim fit; where the armholes are cut higher and not so god damned wide (everything seems so ******* wide), nothing screams ill-fitting suit to me more than wide armholes on a suit, especially on a skinny guy (like me); and for the sleeves to be slimmer as well; the waist of the jacket should narrow at the middle.

What brands (from low to high end) specialize in this cut?

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the style now, but goes against the grain for some older more established brands. Most of the people here will recommend getting a bespoke suit, because then you can measure everything out through an extended process. If you're in a small town, this may be difficult.

While not top tier, I have found Hugo (Hugo Boss red label) to have higher armholes and much slimmer silhouettes. Their Jam/Sharp suit from the Black Label also has a very slim cut. Burberry has slim fit suits too and I have found them to be better quality than Boss (Burberry suits are MII and half canvassed, at least in my experience). Zegna on a higher tier still have some sleek silhouettes but also have a lot of boxy so be careful.

BB, Ralph Lauren, tend to be more traditional in cut. I don't have experience with Armani and D&G, although I imagine the latter may be slim cut.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the low end, H&M and J. Crew all have models with high armholes. Theory does as well. Going a bit higher, Z-Zegna and Brooks Brothers' Milano cut have them and each retail for about a grand. Moving higher still, Ralph Lauren Black Label seems to be the sub-$3k gold standard in very slim fitting suits around here. They go from anywhere between $1,600 to $2,200. Zegna mainline are also fantastic, but at MSRP they start around $2k.

Assuming you are going to have to order online, J. Crew and BB are probably easiest and have the best online selections. RL has some Black Label suits online, but not the full range.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads