Suggestions requested

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bch, Nov 10, 2004.

1. bch

bch Senior member

I own a medium-grey 3-button suit, which came with nearly matching plastic buttons. The fabric has no pattern. The suit is very nice but needs a little contrast, I think; perhaps some dark brown horn buttons. Would brown buttons preclude black shoes & belt? What color button would you recommend?

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I would keep the buttons you already have. I like the Savile Row tradition: closely matching buttons for suits, contrasting buttons for odd jackets.

3. kidkim2

kidkim2 Senior member

As a compromise, you might get variegated grey-and-ivory horn buttons--identical to what you have but with marbling. In fact, all of my grey suits were equipped with these from the start.

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I agree with kidkim2's suggestion. No contrasting buttons (especially brown) unless you want to look like you are wearing a Vivienne Westwood knockoff.

5. Horace

Horace Senior member

I have a slightly more dark than medium grey J. Press suit that has natural brown horn buttons. I think they look quite good on the suit. I wear either brown or black shoes with the suit, and I don't think the color of the buttons is a signficant enough detail to cause concern.