• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suggestions for Bal full Wing Tips (Cole Haan/Alden?)

enigma77

Reaction score
Hi there,

I bought a pair of Johnston and Murphy Waverly wingtips off Zappos, and am looking for a replacement. I've worn them maybe three times, and while I absolutely love the full wing tip bal styling (as well as the medium-gauge broguing) -- and how they go well with both dress slacks and jeans -- they just don't fit. (I seem to be in between a 10D and 10.5D even though in every shoe I've ever bought I fit fine in a 10.5D; go figure.)

Zappos link here and pics below:

6220-485199-p.jpg

6220-485199-3.jpg

Anyway, I love the styling of the shoe but am disappointed about the fit, so now I'm looking for a replacement, preferably something similar/identical. I've had two thoughts so far. One is the Cole Haan Air Gallant Wingtip ($250):

http://www.zappos.com/cole-haan-air-...wing-tip-black

956131-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

956131-p-2x.jpg

The other is the Alden 974 Shell Cordovan Wingtip ($550):

974.jpg

Yes, shell cordovan is the second coming, etc, but to be honest $550 is a little rich for my blood right now. I know that shoes are an investment, etc, but I'm very reluctant to shell out that much.

So does anyone have any recommendations, regarding either shoe above or a third option? Less than $300 would be ideal. (I'm also looking to avoid bluchers, longwings, or broguing that's too chunky, like the Florsheim Lexington or the AE McAllister.)

Thanks!

jobro

Reaction score
Save up for the Aldens (in black if you like - $400) and you will be very happy that you didn't get the Cole Haans.

Blake686

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jobro
Save up for the Aldens (in black if you like - $400) and you will be very happy that you didn't get the Cole Haans.

+1, and Aldens can be had at a discount, sign up for seconds mail from The Shoe Mart

emptym

Reaction score
Aldens are wonderful, and you might check out Alfred Sargents at Pediwear. You can get your sizing down at Brooks Brothers.
Marteganni is also a solid choice.

To me, these three (one American, one English, and one Italian) represent the best ratios of quality, styling, and value.
If you're not in a hurry and price is more of a concern, you could probably find something by these three on eBay.

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers has black Alden Bal wingtips on the Plaza last. I am wearing a pair right now which I got for $200 on sale (you can usually pick them up for this price every 6 months or so. They have been as low as $100 on sale, but that was a once-in-a-blue-moon thing.

If you want something right now, consider these:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

enigma77

Reaction score
Damnit. I was hoping to save money here. :wink: OK, no, but I'm convinced on the Aldens. So someone tell me why, exactly, Cole Haans are out of favor with people here? Or is it more that Cole Haans are fine but Aldens are just way better? About the Aldens: Shoe Mart has 3 (!) bal wingtips from them. For the cordovan one, there are two colors -- Black and Color 8. Anyone know the difference? They both look the same. I gotta say, I'm leaning toward the non-shell cordovan wing tip because the shoe itself just looks a little sleeker. Here are comparisons from Shoe Mart (SORRY FOR THE HUGE PICS): Shell cordovan:
974.jpg
Non-shell cordovan:
903.jpg
As for the Alfred Sargent, maybe it's just Pediwear's pics, but the leather looks dull and kind of cheap... It must be the pics, right? Here's the "Plymouth" shoe:
468premier.jpg
Anyway, details on the Aldens would be appreciated. Is Shoe Mart a reliable seller?

emptym

Reaction score
Cole Haans will almost certainly be corrected grain. The Alfred Sargents in the Premier range will have full grain calfskin, so the Plymouth and Dartmouth (brown) will be good.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cole Haans are not fine.

If you want to save money, get the calf aldens. you just saved $200

enigma77

Reaction score
I stopped by the Alden NYC shop today, and those shell wing tips look very different in person. Much more medium-profile with a narrower vamp and toe -- they've got that sleek look I'm looking for, and the guy was very nice to me (the detailing on the calfskin one didn't look good at all, sadly). So, I suppose I'm saving up for that. SIGH. Oh well there are worse things in this world than new cordovan lace ups, I have to say... I'll just get all monastic for a little while.

I'll most likely get them in black, but would someone explain to me what the heck this "Color #8" thing is that I see associated with various cordovan shoes? Is it a very dark burgundy brown, or another kind of black?

Bellison

Reaction score
the picture of the shell cordovan shoes you provided is color 8.

Originally Posted by enigma77
I stopped by the Alden NYC shop today, and those shell wing tips look very different in person. Much more medium-profile with a narrower vamp and toe -- they've got that sleek look I'm looking for, and the guy was very nice to me (the detailing on the calfskin one didn't look good at all, sadly). So, I suppose I'm saving up for that. SIGH. Oh well there are worse things in this world than new cordovan lace ups, I have to say... I'll just get all monastic for a little while.

I'll most likely get them in black, but would someone explain to me what the heck this "Color #8" thing is that I see associated with various cordovan shoes? Is it a very dark burgundy brown, or another kind of black?

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My black AE wingtip is my least favorite shoe. Something about the blandness of the black and the fussiness of a brogued wingtip doesn't work for me. A dark brown like #8 or oxblood though would definitely work imo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads