• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suede shoes-the Final Solution (to cleaning them)

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
I was at the bar the other night and a certain friend of a certain SF mod spilled beer all over me-waist down, drenched. The jeans, I didn't give a **** about but I was a little worried about the suede shoes I was wearing. They had big black spots all over them (they were sand colored and a few steps up, meaning a lot of money, from Clark's or something--I really didn't want to get them all fucked up.) I was going to have them cleaned professionally but when my mother called and I told her that was on my list of things to do today she suggested I come to her house and try this "suede stone". It took about five minutes work and all the spots and discoloration were gone, these shoes were fucked up too. Now they look as good as new. The only indication for where to get this on the box was "The Walking Store". I don't know what that is but if you are ever in a similar situation you might want to look it up.

__CB__

Reaction score
Those stone things are genius - have spilt all sorts of **** on my tan suede shoes (incl. coffee more than once), and a quick rub with one removes all traces of it.

I don't wear suede shoes out to clubs/gigs/dive bars at night for this reason tho.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by __CB__
Those stone things are genius - have spilt all sorts of **** on my tan suede shoes (incl. coffee more than once), and a quick rub with one removes all traces of it.

I don't wear suede shoes out to clubs/gigs/dive bars at night for this reason tho.

Where did you get yours and how long do they last? My mother said she had had her little kit (the stone & a brush) for years but had no idea where she had purchased it.

shaftoe

Reaction score
Is the stone kind of like a pencil eraser? I got one of those kits from amazon but I haven't used it yet. It comes with a white, rubbery eraser and a brush. suede bar and brush

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shaftoe
Is the stone kind of like a pencil eraser? I got one of those kits from amazon but I haven't used it yet. It comes with a white, rubbery eraser and a brush. suede bar and brush
The stone is not rubbery by any measure (tiny holes in it so I'm guessing a mineral) but that link you posted looks like a close approximation of what I used. I only posted this because there have been so many inconclusive "how to clean suede" threads. If this has been common knowledge the whole time then I'm going to go cut myself. Delete thread, game over, send in the clowns.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
She says sorry
shog[1].gif

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hossoso
The stone is not rubbery by any measure (tiny holes in it so I'm guessing a mineral) but that link you posted looks like a close approximation of what I used. I only posted this because there have been so many inconclusive "how to clean suede" threads. If this has been common knowledge the whole time then I'm going to go cut myself. Delete thread, game over, send in the clowns.
I have recently purchased a few pairs of suede and nubuck shoes. I have been reading about how to care for and clean them. Even though I have read about the stone I think your post is important because it shows that it works and now I am going to find one and figure out how to use it.

There are several tools including the eraser and buck bags that can help you out a lot with your shoes. I was speaking with the lady at the DC Alden store and she gave the buck bag a strong recommendation.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahab
buck bag

??? What's that? A google search didn't turn up anything that could have possibly made sense.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hossoso
??? What's that? A google search didn't turn up anything that could have possibly made sense.

bucbag.jpg

Here is something I found but will prob not buy from this site*. She said it was basically crushed chalk in a bag. It sounded like a rosin bag. I think it does two things for white suede and buck. The chalk soaks up the oil and the white colors the suede or nubuck white.

Buck Bag
For Cleaning White Buck Shoes
The Original Way to Clean White Buck Shoes

$6.00 each

Link:

http://www.jackpurcell.com/mensaddle.htm

*I have no experience with buying from this site.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shaftoe
Is the stone kind of like a pencil eraser? I got one of those kits from amazon but I haven't used it yet. It comes with a white, rubbery eraser and a brush.
suede bar and brush

This is kind of what I use (mine is a brush on one side and an eraser on the other), and it works. But I've never gotten a major stain in my shoes, and my suedes are almost all of the mid-tan to darker shades so they don't stain heavily.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
This is kind of what I use (mine is a brush on one side and an eraser on the other), and it works. But I've never gotten a major stain in my shoes, and my suedes are almost all of the mid-tan to darker shades so they don't stain heavily.

Yep, me too.

I've never heard of a suede stone before, sounds like it's a pumice bar.

Here's one (click on image to reach the site):

__CB__

Reaction score
Yep mine is like what shaftoe posted, never knew the proper name for them - can pick them up in any drugstore.

Does anyone know how these things work? eg does it actually remove all traces of the stain from the suede, or merely mask/hide it by working it in or something?

Kique

Reaction score
I got my stone thingy and brush from CVS, works well enough for my suede Chukkas.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads