• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suede shoes in the summer time?

guster

Reaction score
Do you wear your suede shoes in the summer time/ My feet seem to get hotter in suede than they do in leather. Maybe it's just that my leather shoes are of better quality than the suede I own. What do others think of suede in the summer?

guster

Reaction score
Before I posted, I searched and searched through pages looking for aomething. I must not be doing the search the right way. I get way to many posts.

AFTER I posted I saw the relevant posts below my message with a "suede in the summer" from 2006. Sorry for not seeing that before.

Taxler

Reaction score
Suede is leather that's been brushed to give it a nap, so it's not the fact that it's suede that makes it hotter. Thin suede shoes exist, but I haven't found them to be very durable.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
scan0008.jpg

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When else would I wear my white bucks?

Although I don't own any desert boots (Clark's or similar), summer would seem like the classic time for wearing them.

I have never quite understood the bit of iGent lore that suede shoes are primarily for (dry) autumn and winter days.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I definitely wear my suede in the summer. Not my ankle boots, but the brogues, etc. you bet.

b

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kind of related, but why are desert boots called that? I assume it is the obvious reason, but is there something about suede that makes it appropriate for the dessert or sand?

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
Kind of related, but why are desert boots called that? I assume it is the obvious reason, but is there something about suede that makes it appropriate for the dessert or sand?

Allegedly officers in Montgomery's 8th Army had similar shoes made in Cairo during the North-African campaign in WW2.

Taxler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey

Polished leather doesn't look too good after kicking about in a sand box; Suede looks the same.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads