• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stylish eye glasses

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
I asked in quick questions, but I thought i'd ask here since there seems to be a lot of eyeglass knowledge in this thread.

I cant seem to find a picture of it online. But O&X from the Kio Yamato Group has a acetate frame that looks sort of like that. It has a diamond shaped rivet on the front. And the temple has a triangular profile. Try finding a store with O&X.

grenadine

Reaction score
I was hoping somebody might be able to point me towards some frames similar to the Paul Smith PS-437. (Oliver People's Paul Smith site has been broken for some time so that's the only link I could find.) Unfortunately the only store in my city that carries the Paul Smith line also carries a line of sleazy used car salesman opticians that I don't want to deal with. I'd like to see if I have other options.

I'm specifically looking for something like a smoked/demi grey, not black/brown/crystal/tortoise etc. There is of course the classic and much more affordable Shuron Freeway in demi grey but the frames seem a bit chunkier than I would like.

dyzfunctioned

Reaction score
Anyone know a good place for frames in the Edmonton area...?

Would love to try on the Moscot Emile's or Hesh's, but have no way to.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned

I dont know of any distributors in Canada yet. They do have a distributor for europe though.

Who knows, maybe I will become the next distributor for them....hahaha...just kidding.

dyzfunctioned

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
I dont know of any distributors in Canada yet. They do have a distributor for europe though.

Who knows, maybe I will become the next distributor for them....hahaha...just kidding.

Is there anyway to try them on without flying to Europe? haha

chessman305

Reaction score
Thoughts on these Oliver's? Leaning towards brown...

maceo8108b1.jpg

maceobkg.jpg

Johnathan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Curious_George
I'd go with the brown too.
+1. I received the Ray Ban 5121, but they didn't really work for my face. They only make them up to a 50mm size, which I guess is too small for me. These come in 54mm, I think I'm going to give them a shot:
persol_PO2895V_24.jpg

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnathan
+1.

I received the Ray Ban 5121, but they didn't really work for my face. They only make them up to a 50mm size, which I guess is too small for me.

These come in 54mm, I think I'm going to give them a shot:

persol_PO2895V_24.jpg

50 is quite small for a mens frame. 54 is much more of an average size.

buffalojump

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned

Observatory Optical on Whyte carries Moscot.

dyzfunctioned

Reaction score
Originally Posted by buffalojump
Observatory Optical on Whyte carries Moscot.

Awesome, thanks.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know I'm in self-imposed internet exile, but I had a question about prescriptions and whatnot. The eye doctor always says I don't need glasses, but when I'm shooting my camera, I set the diopter 2-3 clicks away from neutral to see the viewfinder sharply, and I tried my friend's glasses on the other day and saw better through them than I do without them. What's up with that?

Also, does insurance cover frames? I'd want OP Rileys, but couldn't afford 'em at retail sans insurance.

surrender

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
Also, does insurance cover frames? I'd want OP Rileys, but couldn't afford 'em at retail sans insurance.

I was about to ask the same thing. My insurance covers $200 for "prescription eyeglasses and frames," and a local stockist with a good selection says they can fill prescriptions from outside optometrists.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads